Large Japanese Artillery Case ID Help

I’ve recently come across a huge Japanese artillery case and need some help confirming the identification of it.

It is a straight sided rimmed case with the standard Japanese primer. The dimensions are;

Base diameter: 26.5cm (10 7/16")
Rim thickness: 0.8cm (5/16")
Body outside diameter: 24.8cm (9 11/16")
Case Length: 39.6cm (16 7/16")

It bears the standard “F” on the headstamp at 12:00 and a “7” followed by some small kanji at 6:00.

Two candidates are the Type 45 and Type 90 Howitzers as mention in the September 1943 Handbook on Japanese Military Forces. Unfortunately, they do not give dimensions for the cases that went with each of these guns.

Does anyone have any detailed information about the identity of this case?

Thanks,
Dave

[quote=“dak21”]I’ve recently come across a huge Japanese artillery case and need some help confirming the identification of it.

It is a straight sided rimmed case with the standard Japanese primer. The dimensions are;

Base diameter: 26.5cm (10 7/16")
Rim thickness: 0.8cm (5/16")
Body outside diameter: 24.8cm (9 11/16")
Case Length: 39.6cm (16 7/16")

It bears the standard “F” on the headstamp at 12:00 and a “7” followed by some small kanji at 6:00.

Two candidates are the Type 45 and Type 90 Howitzers as mention in the September 1943 Handbook on Japanese Military Forces. Unfortunately, they do not give dimensions for the cases that went with each of these guns.

Does anyone have any detailed information about the identity of this case?

Thanks,
Dave[/quote]

Hi,

Congrats, that’s a GREAT find!
Your case is a 240x395R case, for the Type 4-year Howitzer. The “Type 4-year” part means that the weapon was introduced into service in “Taisho year 4”, i.e. 1915.
The ‘F’ means that the brass of your case contains traces of iron, which was often (but not always) mixed into the brass that the IJA used for their cases. This practice was applied to facilitate the cutting process at the end.
The ‘7’ is the month of manufacture, being ‘July’, The Kanji markings to the right of it will tell you the year of manufacture. If you can transcribe them or add a picture of them, I can tell you what it is. Also, to the left of the ‘7’ you should find the arsenal markings which tells you who manufactured it. With something of this size chances are biggest that it was made at the Osaka arsenal, which is represented by two crossed cannons and the ‘saka’ Kanji ideogram (i.e. ‘阪’) somewhat further to the left of it.
Any chance of adding a picture?

Cheers,
Olafo

Thanks for the information!

It does have the Osaka crossed cannons on the headstamp. The small kanji translate to Showa 14.

I’ve got another large case I will measure up and post this weekend. It is a bottle necked 120mm case that does not match up with any in the standard references. It is also an Osaka product.

I will also put up some pictures at that time.

Thanks again,
Dave

[quote=“dak21”]Thanks for the information!

It does have the Osaka crossed cannons on the headstamp. The small kanji translate to Showa 14.

I’ve got another large case I will measure up and post this weekend. It is a bottle necked 120mm case that does not match up with any in the standard references. It is also an Osaka product.

I will also put up some pictures at that time.

Thanks again,
Dave[/quote]

Hi,

Sounds interesting! I’ll gladly take a look at it.
Can you also please send me an email at ogreve@japaneseammunition.com ?
The reason for that is that I don’t view the forum here on a daily basis (I was directed to your post by a mate of mine).

Cheers,
Olafo

A couple other cases I could not confirm ID were;

Left Hand Round;
Dimensions given at top of post

Middle Round;
Case Mouth = 120mm
Overall Case Length = 454mm
Rim Diameter = 140mm
Rim Thickness = 3mm
Case Diameter just above rim = 130mm
Bottleneck Starts (from base) 310mm
Bottleneck Stops (from base) 390mm

Right Hand Round;
Case Mouth = 155mm
Overall Case Length = 258mm
Rim Diameter = 170mm
Rim Thickness = 5mm

Any information on the guns these went with, and official designation of the cases would be great!

Thanks,
Dave

Hi,

The right hand case is for the Type 4-year 15cm howitzer. This one was introduced in the same year (i.e. Taisho 4 = 1915) as the 240mm case you showed. The “official” calibre that I have it listed by is 150x258R.
The 120mm one intrigues me. I don’t have that one, nor do I know it from references. There was a late war Type 2 (introduced in 1942) 120mm AA gun. Can you perhaps add a picture of the headstamp so I can read the date on it?

Cheers,
Olafo

Hi Olafo,

Sure, I’ll post a picture of the headstamp this weekend.

I don’t recall the date, but it is an Osaka product with the standard “F” at 12’Oclock.

It seems like a pretty short case for an AA gun to me. Could it be a case made for a captured gun?

Thanks for the great information!

Dave

Here is the headstamp on the 120mm. There are no markings at 12:00;