Large projectile ID needed please!

Hello,

A friend picked this up for me the other day,but neither of us know anything about it.

There are no markings anywwhere on the projectile,also, there are no threads on the inside of the brass top for a fuze to screw into.

The brass top measures approx 4.5cm from the inside of the projectile to the top,and measures 2cm on the outside.

The measurements are, 17.5cm long, 3.5cm top diameter and 5.3cm base diameter.

All help appreciated!

Kind regards,
Andy

Edit,it’s 18cm long,and not 17.5!

Anyone?

I would say possibly a 6 lb. (56mm) Drill round of some sort which is missing it’s case. Unfortunately I don’t have a 6lb. manual to check and see if anything matches it.

Thanks Kevin,
The funny thing is,I tried it in one of my WW1 6 pdr cases and it seems to fit perfectly,crimps in the case match with the groove in the projectile.

The thing that made me think it wasn’t a 6 pdr was the difference in measurements,6 pdr=55mm my projectile=53mm.

Cheers,
Andy

[quote=“AndyD”]Thanks Kevin,
The funny thing is,I tried it in one of my WW1 6 pdr cases and it seems to fit perfectly,crimps in the case match with the groove in the projectile.

The thing that made me think it wasn’t a 6 pdr was the difference in measurements,6 pdr=55mm my projectile=53mm.

Cheers,
Andy[/quote]

I cannot help with the ident of this projectile but drill rounds are usually skimmed to a smaller diameter to avoid wear on the lead of the rifling during exercises. This may account for the missing 2mm.

gravelbelly

OK,firstly, thanks to those that replied.

Secondly, I have had a couple of other suggestions about this projectile.

One is that it’s an early piece that didn’t have a fuze,simply a wax covered disc of some description in place of the fuze.

The other is that it may be a projectile from a Gruson gun.

Any opinions on the above?

Kind regards,
Andy

Nobody knows?

Just weighed it and it comes in at 4lbs.

Kind regards,
Andy

There are a couple of folks who know. I am waiting for them to answer.

Thanks for your reply!

Kind regards,
Andy

Jim- tell use about this .

I can’t positively identify this projectile, but the rotating band and crimping groove are correct for 6 Pdr Nordenfelt and later 6 Pdr British projectiles. This may be a point fuzed 6 Pdr projectile that has had the brass fuze adapter machined out for some decorative purpose, such as a pencil holder. The lack of stamped markings is not normal, and may indicate the projectile was never completely finished, or was rejected during manufacture.

Jim

I have seen this design in the past as a naval practice projectile designed to avoid skipping and ricochet when fired over water.

The US used a different design with flat or cupped noise called “diving projectiles”. I’ll post some.