Large shell case, WWI or WWII?

I have a piece of trench art which my dad liberated in Germany in WWII. It is an ashtray made from a shell case which is 135mm in diameter and with a 140mm base diameter. The case says Patronenfabrik Karlsruhe on the bottom. Dad said lots of brass was flattened by tanks and other presses to create useful items. Question: What kind of weapon of war was this used in, and was it in use in WWI, WWII, or both???

Thanks

Still looking for an answer to the question posed in this thread. Appreciate any help. Thank You

I have lists including lots of German artillery cases, but nothing with a rim diameter of exactly 140mm.

Herky-I believe your ashtray was made from a Krupp Model 1908, 12cm Howitzer, L/12 used principley by the Dutch in WW-I. It was 128mm caliber x 84mm long case. There are only 2 artillery rounds with a 140mm base. The other one is 122mm caliber x 137.5 long. It was the Bofors Model 1911, 12cm Howitzer L/14, also used by the Dutch. I assume the 135mm diminsion you give is the outside diminsion of the case. That being so, then 128mm caliber would be about right

Pict of a ashtray made out a 1944 case

Ron- Sounds like you have some sort of reference that gives dimensions for big bore stuff. What is it and where can I get a copy?
Thanks

John S.-It is “Big Bore Ammunition” by Robert, Jr., Cindy and Jennifer Hawkinson., Published in 1993. Address: 10146 N. Wauwatosa Rd., Mequon, Wisconsin 53097.

I have no idea if it is still available or if the address is still good, but that is what is printed on the title page.

It covers all known (at least in 1993) artillery from 12.7mm to 863mm. (2863 cases). It is divided into 3 sections arrainged by caliber or case length or country. Here is a sample page:

Yes adress is still ok

Robert, Jr., Cindy and Jennifer Hawkinson., Published in 1993. Address: 10146 N. Wauwatosa Rd., Mequon, Wisconsin 53097.

regards
gyrojet

I can’t seem to get two images at once so will send them separately. This is the base of the shell and the markings don’t look Dutch to me, but rather German. I am certain of the diameter of the base and the rim.

And here is the upright foto.

Herkey–Yes, your case was made in Germany, they sold their guns and cartridges to most of the countries of Europe. They made a lot of models and case sizes on contract for other nations to their specifications. Thats the situation with your Dutch case.