Lawrence and Hunter hunting ammo carriers

I assume these are for hunting rifle rounds. But which caliber?

Vlad

Those go back to the 1950s. You generally bought whatever was available and what best fit your cartridges. There wasn’t a whole lot of difference between them. If ordered through a mail-order catalog, you specified the cartridge and they would send the correct one.

From an old SHOOTER’S BIBLE, it looks like the Lawrence #3 was for 30-30 and larger. The Hunter # 506 was for 30-06 and similar.

After they destroyed a bunch of your hard-to-come-by cartridges, you threw them away.

Ray

Actually, there was never much reason to throw these away. Most experienced hunters and those who use leather revolver belts with shell loops know that it is best not to store cartridges in the loops when the item is not in actual use. Some properly tanned leather will not form verdigres (that green waxy stuff, in case I slaughtered the spelling of that word) as quick as those with a mediocre or poor tanning. Still, over a period of time, any leather cartridge holder used with plain brass-case ammunition will form verdigres. Nickel cases are better for carrying in leather loops, but given enough time and the right conditions of moisture, etc., they will form it as well, eventually.

Of course, with the question of hunting accessories, one could ask if considering modern game limits, it is necessary to carry any more rounds than any hunting rifle other than a single-shot will hold. I know that depends a lot on duration of the trip, hunting conditions at the time, etc.

I was a distributor for Lawrence Leather /The George Lawrence Co. They have been in business under the Lawrence name since around 1875. Lawrence bought the company in the late 1850’s (can’t remember the original name) They made a wide variety of high grade leather products. Every thing from belts to saddle scabbards. The company was bought out about 1988-89. It is still in business but most of their product now is in clothing and wallets , that sort of merchandise. The cartridge slides like these were made in several sizes that grouped the cartridges into about a 1/2 dozen model numbers. The Lawrence slide in the pic is a style 3, size B, 30-30 and similar. These could be ordered with different number of cartridge loops and finish (basket weave etc.), with a cover flap etc. I may have an old catalog somewhere. Holsters made prior to 1970 have become quite collectable in the western style rigs which they were famous for. 1800’s and early 1900’s leather can be quite pricey. These slides could be as late as the late 1980’s . I have several that are marked identically and they are from the 70’s.
Hunter is still in business and making the same products. They were always the lower price point leather goods.

Lawrence was the top of the line . Lawrence would make custom holster and belt rigs. American made! Lawrence didn’t keep pace with companies like Safariland and Bianchi and their failure to keep up with more modern design in holsters was a major factor in their falling from favor in the shooting community.

edited to correct info

SPORTCLAY, you seem quite knowledgeable on the Lawrence brand product, so I have a few questions if you don’t mind. I have collected antique gun leather for years and have picked up many cartridge slides as I call them. I have 2 Lawrence brand cartridge slides I don’t know their exact fitting. One is as pictured above but is a model 3 size C. The other is a beautiful Lawrence covered slide, marked 25 C. Would you possibly have knowledge of the cartridges these were designed to fit? I have tried various calibers but am curious of their actual intended purpose. Ray is entirely correct about leather discoloring brass cartridges left for extended periods in these slide. They were and are still used here in my area.

I found the 1977 Lawrence catalog. I knew I shouldn’t trust my memory. The correct cartridge for size B is 30-30, 32spl, 303 Sav., 30 Rem etc. corrected this in the above post.
Size A= 30-06, 270, 7x57, 8x57, 30-40, 303 Brit. and similar
Size C= 300 Mag -375Mag.
cartridges like 22 Hornet and 222Rem were ordered by specific caliber.
Ray is absolutly correct don’t leave the round in contact with the leather for more than a few days.
Your C sized slide should fit the H&H based cartridges up to 375.

Thank you for your fast reply SPORTCLAY. As always I learn so much from others.