Lead Air Rifle Shot

I got 4 of these in a box of miscellaneous stuff the other day. I’m sure they are not rare, but I thought they were cute. As can be seen, they were made to look like 20ga. shot shells, complete with a roll crimp over a top wad. In case you can’t read it, these are “Western” brand.

Do you need to get rid of one of those tubes/shells of BBs???

Rick

Ron: Do you know when the plated steel shot supplanted the lead? I’m pretty sure lead was typical at least as late as 1930, but by 1950 it was invariably–at least in my precincts–plated steel. JG

J.Gill–I have no idea when the copper plated steel BB’s became standard. Like you, growing up in the 1950’s, all I ever saw as a kid were the steel BB’s. I do not collect BB Tubes. In fact, until I got these a few weeks ago, I did not even know they made Lead BB’s.

I have seen airguns in use on fairground booths which use a copper plated lead ball. The balls seem to splatter readily on impact, presumably to reduce/avoid richochets. The steel BB’s richochet dangerously in about 100% of the shots! The lead shot are poured into the tube magazine of repeater airguns. I am pretty sure that these were still in use within the last ten years in Britain, I haven’t been to a fairground recently.

gravelbelly

Gravelbelly: In the period in which shooting galleries were prevalent in U.S. fairs and carnivals small bore rifles firing .22 short ammunition loaded with frangible bullets were typical. I recall Remington 241 rifles as being the norm in this neck of the woods and in a slightly earlier period Winchester model 62s were apparently popular. I can see the problems of firing steel shot at a steel backstop though! Whether air rifles were often used for this purpose in the U.S. I’m not certain. JG

[quote=“gravelbelly”]

I have seen airguns in use on fairground booths which use a copper plated lead ball. The balls seem to splatter readily on impact, presumably to reduce/avoid richochets. The steel BB’s richochet dangerously in about 100% of the shots! The lead shot are poured into the tube magazine of repeater airguns. I am pretty sure that these were still in use within the last ten years in Britain, I haven’t been to a fairground recently.

gravelbelly[/quote]
The latest ones of these I have seen at fairgrounds saw were fully automatic, modelled on an original pattern “gangster” style Thompson SMG with drum mag and fore grip. They were powered by compressed air supplied by a hose from under the stall. The BBs were loaded into the weapon in a thin metal tube, inserted into the rear just above the buttstock. The stall offered a

Most of you are probably to young to remember the aluminum BB’s sold for a short time right after WW-2. Had terrific velocity but when shooting it outside in any breeze or wind it would blow off target as much as a foot at 25 feet! Because of a senior moment do not remember who made it or what brand it was sold as. Do remember it was packed in tubes like lead or plated BB’s

Gourd