Lehigh Defense projectile evolution

I had thought there was an old thread from when Lehigh Defense first got into selling loaded ammo which showed all of their products, but it seems gone? I will try and redo a thread here with all of Lehigh Defense’s products. I wanted to show today that I noticed how Lehigh’s .44mag 220gr Extreme Penetrator bullet has evolved over the years. The notch on the top of the bullet is carved out differently, and the scalloped out portions on the side are also lengthened.

The original projectile from when they first offered loaded ammo is shown on the left, and was ammo loaded by Lehigh. The one on the right is a current production 2018 projectile as loaded by Underwood. Both are labelled as 220gr Extreme Penetrators. There is also the “Extreme Hunter” and the “Extreme Defender” which have even larger carved out portions.

Today I received some recent-production Underwood Ammo, two of which have new Lehigh Defense solid copper bullets. One is in .32acp as the Xtreme Defender, which is a shift away from the original Xtreme Cavitator bullet in that caliber which Lehigh had previously claimed was the only sort of acceptably functional projectile for .32 auto (in the odd solid copper projectiles that they do). The design of the 55gr bullet seems a little different than the typical relative dimensions of other Defender bullet types from other calibers, probably to accommodate whatever the quirk was about stabilizing a bullet of this size/weight. In the typical style of Underwood (and Buffalo Bore) they are calling this load .32acp +P, which doesn’t really exist, but Underwood simply wants to advertise this as a relatively hot load. The nickel-plated brass is Starline

The other Lehigh bullet is a 95gr Makarov Xtreme Penetrator, and is the first time I have seen nickel plated brass for Starline 9x18.

Also shown is Underwood’s “Range Supply” 115gr FMJ ammo which is their economy target brand. The case is from SST with the generic “S3” headstamp. I suspect more and more manufacturers will turn to SST cases as the cost on these superior cases is now below standard brass, and the quirk about only being reloadable with the S3 reload kit (to de-prime fired cases) does not seem to bother since 99%+ of 9mm shooters in the U.S. do not reload at all anyway.

Thanks! I updated the SST NAS3 checklist.