Leon Beaux & C. Capsule

Hi all I’m fairly new to the sight and have been collecting for about 3 years.
My question is about a box I got in a package deal it is a full box of what looks like musket caps? The box is in excellent shape with what looks like drier lent :o) for a packing cushion.
The box label says Leon Beaux & C
100 Capsule A 4 ALI
The side of the box says Manufactured Expressly for Martin B. Retting West Hurley, NY
If anyone can help me ID these caps I would appreciate it greatly. All of my searches on the net have came up with nothing from Leon Beaux & C but loaded ammo and head stamp info so I’m coming to the experts here on this form for help.
Thanks
I scanned a pick of the box and caps for a bit more info

There is a large gun shop in Culver City, CA. with the same name, maybe they moved. West Hurley used to be a Mecca for me when Numrich Gun Parts had a real gun shop there. The store is still there but they sell gun parts only, no guns, no ammo, no helmets etc.
retting.com/

I knew Martin Retting. He was in our store several times and we were in a deal with him for Pedersen rifles and carbines - we got all the ones not used in the trials,he got the ones that were used. To his benefit, though, he got all the charger clips for them. We had only one, which we kept with the rifle we kept.

I was only in his store once, in 1958, home on leave from Alaska. I bought a couple of surplus British rifles from him - I collected Enfields at that time. I was down there with my brother, a Sprts writer for the San Francisco Chronicle, and we were going to the Rose Bowl Game. A nice trip.

Retting’s store has not changed much in 52 years. The layout is as I remembered it - my two guns came off the racks, or ones like them, in the center of the floor. He had a lot of great military stuff in those days. Later, thru the mail, I bought a couple of collectable auto pistols from him. Don’t remember if you had to in those days, but I think you did, so they were sent to our store for Registration to me in California.

He is gone now. I believe I was in his store not long after he opened it on Washington Blvd. in Culver City. He had moved out from New York. He had collector’s ammo in those days too, and I bought a few cartridges from him to go with pistols I had acquired - that was some time after my trip. He brought the cartridges up to the store, as he told me he was making a trip up to the Bay Area. Nice chap. I remember him well. I think his son took over when Martin passed, but I didn’t know his son.

He used to buy Mauser pistol (7.63 mm) stripper clips from us. We had purchased all that Kynoch had in their basement - 32,000 of them, all new in wood cases of 1,000 each. We had an agent in Liverpool, a Mr. Brown who worked for W. Richards Ltd (not the same company was Wesley Richards). We sold them in quantity to dealers for 25 cents each. They cost us about 8 cents landed. Great deal, but we still had about 40 left when we closed the store, probably 30 years after we got the shipment of clips.

Lots of good memories from those days. The late 1950s may have been the best times ever for “gun guys” in the U.S. Plenty of inexpensive surplus guns around - nice, shootable and collectable rifles for ten and twelve dollars apiece, artillery lugers for around 50 bucks, etc., etc.

John Moss

gelhard,
yes, they are caps for muzzleloading guns

More precisely, they are musket caps, as used on the Model 1861 Springfields and other muzzle loading muskets and rifle muskets.

I think Martin Retting moved from West Hurley to California in 1954. His big 1948 (I think) catalog is packed with the most improbable array of modern and antique arms, ammunition, and accessories at prices that (of course) seem to have the decimal place about two spots too far to the left. The item in the '48 catalog that most makes me pine for a reliable time machine was a really good-sounding Richmond Sharps carbine. But what really impresses in retrospect is how few mistakes were made in identification, particularly given the almost absolute lack of reference sources in those times. Jack

Jack - I thought they moved earlier than 1958 also, as when I visited it in December 1958, the shop had a “well used” look to it already, but their web site says they moved there in 1958.

John Moss

[quote=“JohnMoss”]I knew Martin Retting. He was in our store several times and we were in a deal with him for Pedersen rifles and carbines - we got all the ones not used in the trials,he got the ones that were used. To his benefit, though, he got all the charger clips for them. We had only one, which we kept with the rifle we kept.

I was only in his store once, in 1958, home on leave from Alaska. I bought a couple of surplus British rifles from him - I collected Enfields at that time. I was down there with my brother, a Sprts writer for the San Francisco Chronicle, and we were going to the Rose Bowl Game. A nice trip.

Retting’s store has not changed much in 52 years. The layout is as I remembered it - my two guns came off the racks, or ones like them, in the center of the floor. He had a lot of great military stuff in those days. Later, thru the mail, I bought a couple of collectable auto pistols from him. Don’t remember if you had to in those days, but I think you did, so they were sent to our store for Registration to me in California.

He is gone now. I believe I was in his store not long after he opened it on Washington Blvd. in Culver City. He had moved out from New York. He had collector’s ammo in those days too, and I bought a few cartridges from him to go with pistols I had acquired - that was some time after my trip. He brought the cartridges up to the store, as he told me he was making a trip up to the Bay Area. Nice chap. I remember him well. I think his son took over when Martin passed, but I didn’t know his son.

He used to buy Mauser pistol (7.63 mm) stripper clips from us. We had purchased all that Kynoch had in their basement - 32,000 of them, all new in wood cases of 1,000 each. We had an agent in Liverpool, a Mr. Brown who worked for W. Richards Ltd (not the same company was Wesley Richards). We sold them in quantity to dealers for 25 cents each. They cost us about 8 cents landed. Great deal, but we still had about 40 left when we closed the store, probably 30 years after we got the shipment of clips.

Lots of good memories from those days. The late 1950s may have been the best times ever for “gun guys” in the U.S. Plenty of inexpensive surplus guns around - nice, shootable and collectable rifles for ten and twelve dollars apiece, artillery lugers for around 50 bucks, etc., etc.

John Moss[/quote]
DITTO AND MUCHO DITTO

Retting had great catalogues and prices which would make collectors today cry.

I used to buy from him when ammo had to come by railway express. I was young and could hardly wait to get his shipments. Christmas any time of the year. I had not thought of him for years. THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES.

How about GOLDEN STATE ARMS ?