Léon Beaux & C

Dear Sirs,
my name is Gino, I’m Italian, I’m 52 years old; I live in southern Italy(Apulia). My work: historian of sciences, specialized in XVIIIth century taxonomic theories and classification systems (Linnaeus, Tournefort etc.). Normally I use to make my researches about birds, plants, entomology etc., but in this case I’m trying to get some infos about Léon Beaux & C. shotgun alluminium shells.
Mr Spangler suggested to me to register and come here to ask you all for a help. Therefore, these are my questions:
1- does anybody know when this factory changed its name from “Léon Beaux & C.” to simply “Léon Beaux”?
2- when did Léon Beaux & C. previously begin and later stop to produce alluminium bottom shotgun shells?
3- in which french town did the production begin?
4- when did the factory move to Milan (Italy)?
Thank you everybody for your kind help.
Best wishes for 2010 and best regards.
Sincerely,
Gino

Hello Gino,
Happy new year first !
To answer your questions, I only know that :

1- does anybody know when this factory changed its name from “Léon Beaux & C.” to simply “Léon Beaux”?
[color=#0000FF]In their 1932 cataogue they still used Leon Beaux & Co[/color]
2- when did Léon Beaux & C. previously begin and later stop to produce alluminium bottom shotgun shells?
In their 1932 cataogue they haven’t yet aluminium bases

3- in which french town did the production begin?
Issy les Moulineaux, made by SFM
From the beginning to very late SFM was making shotshells and Rim Fire ctges for them.
In 1969 SFM was still making shotshells for them
Leon Beaux was a subsedary of SFM, and at the first beginning it was known as Societe Franco Italienne de Munitions (SFIM) (founded in 1884)
Leon Beaux after took the name of Societa Franco Italiana Milano (SFIM also)

4- when did the factory move to Milan (Italy)?
No idea
In 1884 I guess

New inputs :
In their 1938 catalogue they have aluminium bases
And it was still Leon Beaux & Co

jp

Ciao Gino! Welcome to the website.

I think the order of names given may be slightly misplaced. Not sure. I will add what I have in my own meager catalog file on this company:

January 1st, 1929 Catalog: Léon Beaux & C. Società Franco-Italiana, Milano

1953 Brochure: Società Italiana Munizioni - Léon Beaux & C., Milano

1955 Price List: Società Italiana Munizioni - Léon Beaux & C., Milano (same as 1953)

I do not believe that the official name was ever simply “Léon Beaux.” However, their cablegram address in 1955 was simply “LEONBEAUX - Milano” exactly as I typed it here, with no accent marks on letters and no space between “LEON” and “BEAUX.”

Some Léon Beaux & C. headstamps use that name, while others say just “Leon Beaux” or even simply “BEAUX.” The shortened use of a name on a cartridge headstamp does not constitute an official name change.

Hope this is of some help.

John Moss

Ciao Gino…io sono di Udine…

Dear Friends,
many, many thanks for your rich information. These things make my opinion change about L.B.&Co.: some collectors used to tell me that alluminium bases were the “most ancient” ('20s-'30s). But this morning I got a cartidge made in the '50s by a local italian “armeria” with the last disc, to one on the top, made by a thin transparent plastic sheet. The charger, of course, could have employed an old cartridge with new materials. But Jeanpierre’s info (“In their 1932 catalogue they haven’t yet aluminium bases”) shows me that maybe alluminium came later.

Me too I supposed that aluminium bases belong to 1920-1930 years. Maybe Jean-Pierre can be clearer about this topic. More, Guy Hildebrand, in another forum here, submits a second question about Léon Beaux & C.

Hi Pieperbayard and Gino,

1. WHAT I AM POSITIVE ABOUT:
    Aluminium base shotshells don’t show up in any catalogue up to (and including) 1932.
    The first mention about them is in a price list dated 1938.
    When was it finished ? No idea.

2. WHAT AN (SERIOUS) ITALIAN COLLECTOR TOLD ME:
    Beginning of the 30’ies to 1945
    It fits.

3. TO BE MORE PRECISE:
    We can make a correlation with the type of primer.
    I know 5 different primers on LBC shotshells.
    From the oldest to the newest we have:
    a) copper with brass ring
    b) brass with brass ring
    c) copper
    d) copper with mark VIS on it
    e) nickel with mark VIS INOX on it

Due to the lack of documentation I am not able to tell you when these different primers were introduced on the market

If you find some advertising on Leon Beaux shotshells or primer I am interested

JP

[quote=“jeanpierre”]Hi Pieperbayard and Gino,

Aluminium base shotshells don’t show up in any catalogue up to (and including) 1932.
The first mention about them is in a price list dated 1938.
When was it finished ? No idea.
JP[/quote]

new inputs :

Aluminium base shotshells were no more in 1953
in 1953 the hstp was no more Leon Beaux & Co but Leon Beaux Milano
jp