LGS Find Today- Sometimes You Get Lucky!

Got this beauty at the LGS today, 8 ga Kiln buster, marked:
Winchester Super-X No 8 Industrial
I struk up a conversation with a gent selling [modern] ammo, and he gave me this baby!
It pays to be polite and listen to what someone has to say.
I have only been looking for one about 4 years now!

3 Likes

And these are used to “clean” kilns? Great find!

1 Like

Yes, they are fired from a swivel gun, on a pedestal mount, resembling a miniature 37mm WWII AT gun( drop block).
Kilns build up outcrops of Klinker
( roasted cement/ limestone) which reduce the heating efficiency and through-put of the
Long rotating barrel of the kiln.
Sending a man with a sledge hammer to break up the accretions would require seversl days’ shutdown and cooling, whereas the Kiln Gun can be used with the rotation stopped but the kiln still hot.
Like firing a 20mm single shot!!

Both Remington and Winchester made Cartridges AND kiln guns.

??? Would a kiln gun be a DD???
( I don’t know if KGs are rifled???)

Doc AV

3 Likes

This came from a box of five samples, did have the full box but didn’t keep it. I never bothered to take any pictures of it at the time either, which was rather silly in hindsight.

The 8ga Industrial cartridge is a great collecting field. I have 27 variations and need many others.
It depends on the strength of the cartridge and the use. They are usually solid slugs but other applications use shot pellets.
There are two excellent videos of Winchester and Remington kiln guns in use.
It can take 2-300 shots for a ring removal and up to 3,000 shells used per day.(see video).

Makers are Remington, Winchester, Western, Dominion and Eley-Kynoch.(maybe others).
Plastic cases can be blue,red,black,white,yellow or green from my collection.
Paper cases are usually pale red, red or light brown (Eley).

The fired cases are usually snapped up by shooters of 8ga guns .
The safety ring is resized and the cases can then be reloaded with shot for 8ga shooting.
Too many shells to photograph and no doubt the USA collectors have lots more to show. Ron.

Ron, you can add Fiocchi Kiln and Swartklip Kiln to those for sure, bet there are others too.

CBC, cartoucherie francaise, Henry, swartklip.
I also have a new unprimed empty case from the factory in kranj Slovenia.

Regards René

Here are 75 or so with a pressure test (top row circular paper patch 5th from right Remington Cement Plant hs), shot loads, window shells, dummies & zinc rods. PETERS CEMENT PLANT GUN, REMINGTON CEMENT GUN & WESTERN KILN GUN headstamps. and four 4 bore’s two of which are aluminum cased. Right example of the 5 blue plastic Dominion (bottom left w/white label) is a powder container. No primer pocket & was meant / was used to get around laws covering the sizes of containers to hold powder for shipping.
As to names add Alcan & Gevelot Also one just has three impressed 5-point stars at 120º as the hs (bottom row next to the longer alum. 4 bore).
Henry was a Winchester-Western Olin brand & it didn’t last long & you can see why as I also have a fired example 2nd row from top about in the middle.
I believe Dick I. has well over 100 examples or maybe it’s over 200, I don’t remember what he said when we last talked.

5 Likes

Wow! Had no idea so many were made and used. Thanks.

A great display of shells. I have not seen the short brass ones near the bottom.
Do they still have the safety ridge on the brass?

All I can do is show two Eley shells and the box. And a Western white experimental.

Perhaps the main title of this thread should be changed to 8ga Kiln shells .
This would make later reference checks easier to find? Very interesting subject.

1 Like

Very nice Pete, I have about 15 and thought I had a lot …….

Ron,
I had not seen the one with the ICI roundel on it before, or maybe not noticed it. One to keep my eyes open for in the future.

Here’s my 2 cents worth on kiln guns…

Doc AV is accurate in his description of the use of a kiln gun. I was a supervisor in a pulp mill that had a lime kiln.

If the recipe of product going into the kiln was incorrect the product would form rings on the inside of the kiln or balls that rolled around. These blocked the airflow from the front to the back of the kiln further compounding the problem.

Without a gun it took 2 or 3 shifts to cool down the kiln to enter it and then several hours for 2 to 3 people to jackhammer the obstruction into pieces, then 1½ times the cool down time to heat it back up.

Using a gun: shutdown the kiln, pull the burner out, bolt the gun to the face of the kiln and shoot through a port using an aimpoint sight. One to two hours and 3 or 400 rounds later you were good to go. Remove the gun and close things up and you were running after a brief warm up. You might have been down for one, 8-hour shift.

We were not allowed to “own” the kiln gun – it was leased from Remington.

I don’t believe that it was rifled.

The gun was fired by pulling a lever like an AA gun.

Note the shoulder (safety ring?) on the brass of the industrial cartridge – this was done to prevent it from being chambered in a conventional 8 ga. gun (and old punt guns).

If I remember correctly the slugs we used were 3 ounces.

It was unusual to use the gun more that 2 or 3 times a year.

Thanks for bringing back the memories!

1 Like

Thanks gents
Ron if you mean these then I’ll let you judge the safety ridge part of it.
Note the long one w/o CWP has been fired. The red is a low velocity #4 lead shot load & the purpleish is a hi velocity #2 shot. These low & hi vel. loads also exist in typical base configurations.
My only box & the low base & Eley (no ICI roundel) hs.
kiln gun hs

Western kiln gun box

2 Likes