Link Tube Carriers (LTC) for loading the A-10

It is no secret that the A-10 Thunderbolt II with the GAU-8, 30mm cannon is an awesome bit of machinery. I suspect those who have been the target, including the crews of quite a few armored vehicles , would agree with that statement. What most people seem not to realize the complexity of loading the ammo into the A-10, particularly in a hot or combat turn situation.

Key to this loading are the plastic tubes or LTCs used to hold the ammo as it is moves through the loading process. The GAU-8 on the A-10 uses a linkless feed system so something is needed to handle the ammo and prevent damage as it is loaded into the magazine. This piece of equipment is the GFU-8/E, and previous versions of this loader, primarily the GFU-7/E.

The following shows the process:

The first step is loading the ammunition into the LTCs. Here the ammo is coming in and out the far end can be seen the ammo inside the LTCs

The ammo and LTCs are inspected as they go into the loading boxes

The GFU, which looks something like a dinosaur is towed out to the A-10

and the loading head is connected into the aircraft ammo feed system.

The loaded LTCs go into the loader from the loading boxes, the ammo is stripped out and into the aircraft magazine. The LTCs come back out the upper level of the loading machine for reuse

and are packed for use another day! Note the red lines on the front and back of each LTC. These are a plastic or nylon (or something similar) twine that acts essentially as a belt holding the LCTs together during the loading process.

I have gone through this process so you understand how critical the LTC is to the successful operation of the A-10.

The fact is that in the earlier days of the A-10 the LTC didn’t always operate successfully. It’s development has been a long process. Below are some LTCs that has seen better days. The bottom two LTC are examples that were in use in the late 1980s to early 1990s.

The black arrows on the bottom one shows where cracks develop and can lead to head seperation when the LTC is pulled off the cartridge. The middle LTC is an example of one mangled in the loading process. It is easy to imagine how frustrating either of these type failures would be in the middle of a quick turn when they jam up the loader.

Attached is a report and a letter which outline the problem and the solution the USAF Advanced Composites Program Office came up with to solve these problems. The orange tube is a test item for the improved design. The attached documents make interesting reading (to me).

Disclaimer: I have watched this loading process being done a few times but I am sure there are those out there who are experienced experts who will correct my errors and expand on things I have missed.

Cheers,
Lew

LTC Report & Letter.pdf (1.2 MB)

9 Likes

Nice Lew, thanks much

Very interesting Lew, thanks. Never worked on armaments on this baby only control surface tooling. I knew there was a “machine” for loading but never came across it before, great post.

1 Like

Lew, great information, thanks for sharing!

Regards,

Fede

Just one point that I forgot. If you look at the last image of the aircraft, the one where the airman is packing the used STCs into the load boxes you will note the red lines on the front and back of each LTC. These are a plastic or nylon twine that acts essentially as a belt holding the LCTs together.

Lew

1 Like

Three pictures showing the twines in detail:

History of Syn-Tech, developers of the LTC system: https://www.myfuelmaster.com/about/the_history_of_syn-tech

Two related patents:

4137821.pdf (938.0 KB)

4385696.pdf (646.1 KB)

Thanks, that is very cool info!
I have never seen an A10 being loaded, but I have seen them being ‘unloaded’ a few times, and that is a awesome sight to behold.