Links and charging clips

At a gunshow in Edmonton this past weekend there were some very interesting cips and links on display. Comments appreciated.

8mm Lebel

8mm Siamese

8mm Mauser

6.5mm Arisaka (by Kynoch h/s is K 17 II)

.280/30

6mm USN

7.62x54R by Kynoch

11mm Gras

7.65 Mauser

Paul

I can’t see the pic clearly, are there any markings on the .280/30 stripper?

The articulated Hotchkiss strip for the tank machine gun is particularly nice, they are hard to find.

The Kynoch 7.62mm Russian are in a Mark I charger made by the British Stamped Metal Ceiling Company of 97 Queen Victoria Street, London. They had a contract to make 100,000 chargers per week increasing gradually to 300,000 per week from 27 January 1917.

I don’t think the .280/30 charger is original to the rounds, I have not seen any reference to the ammunition being supplied in chargers. However, I think it is a nice early British single pip 7.62mm NATO charger.

Regards
TonyE

Hi Paul
For 8 mm Lebel : Model M1917 for rifle FSA-1917

Tony and Jean Marc -thanks for the information!

There are no marks on the .280/30 clip.

I edited the post to add pictures of some 7.65 Mauser links/rounds.

Paul

[quote=“PaulSmith”]Tony and Jean Marc -thanks for the information!

There are no marks on the .280/30 clip.

I edited the post to add pictures of some 7.65 Mauser links/rounds.

Paul[/quote]

I agree with Tony that this is probably a 7.62mm NATO charger with the .280/30 rounds. If so, it will be marked inside the channel, beneath the spring. Use a bullet tip or point of a pencil to depress one of the spring tabs so that it can be slid out. Then, all will be revealed.

gravelbelly

Some nice British items there. The regular Hotchkiss strips in .303 are almost never found over here. I would think that the articulated one is even rarer.

Clip and charger collectors may be interested that early versions of the EM2 rifle had a magazine loader permanently attached to the magazine, which was deleted from later versions of the rifle. A photograph exists from a handbook showing this magazine loader in action. It is holding a Mauser-type charger with .280-30 cartridges, but unfortunately the quality of the photo isn’t good enough to show the number or type of lugs on the charger’s sidewall.

Many years ago I spoke to Herb Woodend about this, and he believed that this charger was in fact the quite well-known 60mm-long, Mauser-type charger with 3 sidewall lugs made by British Pens, marked “BP”. He based this opinion on the fact that it fitted the EM2’s mag loader, that its manufacture seemed to have been contemporary with the EM2 development, and that he could think of no other likely use for it. So far as I am aware he never located any documentary proof for this.

It may seem strange that the EM2 should use a 3-lugged charger typical of those made for the 7.92x57 Mauser rifle. However, it was derived from a closely similar one made by BP for the SLEM (Self-Loading Experimental Model) rifle, then in 7.92 calibre, developed by FN’s Dieudonne Saive and his team working in England during WW2. This SLEM charger required a single central sidewall lug, and it is probable that for experimental purposes it was later modified by the addition of the two outer lugs needed for the EM2.

After the EM2 project was abandoned, these 3-lugged chargers were sold off by the civilian gun trade as 7.92x57 Mauser chargers, the .280-30 and 7.92x57 cartridges having identical rim dimensions.

JJE

Hello,

Paul, can you please indicate the markings on the 7mm Prideaux links.

Concerning the .303 Hotchkiss articulated belt, it is worth noting that you have the starter piece which is 6-round while the remaining of the belt is 3-round pieces.

Cheers,

JFL

Hi JF,

There are no marks that I can see. I will get to see all of these links and clips again on November 3rd and will examine them more closely.

Thanks also for all of the additional comments.

Paul