Lone Ranger .45 Colt

I have a polished aluminum .45 Colt with a hollow polished aluminum round nose bullet jacket with the headstamp “LONE RANGER 45”. It has a simulated primer. I obtained this cartridge in 1986 during a visit to Ellis Mercantile in Culver City, CA. For those that do not know, they were a major supplier of props for the movies, including guns and gunbelts. I was allowed to go through hundreds of gunbelts and holsters and remove dummy cartridges from them. My major interest was .45 Colt and I obtained about 25 movie dummies that day. When I had finished doing this, the Chief Armour said he had another gunbelt in special storage that I might be interested in. He then pulled out a set he said had been used in a number of Lone Ranger movies in the 1950’s. The belt had about 20 of the above “Silver Bullet” cartridges in it and I was allowed to take one.

He said that it was his understanding that these cartridges were also handed out by the “Lone Ranger” at appearances at county fairs, etc. As a kid in the 1950’s I saw him perform at our local fair in Cadillac, Michigan. I think this was about 1956. He fired his guns and I was lucky enough to get one of the fired cases. It is a nickel plated blank with the headstamp “REM-UMC 45 COLT”. None of the above dummies were handed out that night.

He also said he thought that some toy company had bought the remaining stock of the dummies for use in a toy gun set about 1960. Does anyone know anything about this toy gun and who made it?

Ron

I have one of those LONE RANGER 45 cartridges so they must be fairly common. As I understand it, the bullet is removeable to provide a secret compartment to hide your valuables.

I also have the REA Lone Ranger cartridges. You know, HI-YO REA AWAAAY.

Anyway, I can’t answer your question about the gun that went with the cartridges. I assume you know about E-Bay and searching for toy guns. You get a lot of hits and it’s a good way to find the toy cartridges that go with them.

Also, if you’ll search around on GB and AA you will find ads for real live cartridges that once belonged to the Lone Ranger (the actors who played him). They should be about as valuable as all of the cartridges that I have that once belonged to Gen Custer.

Ray

Ray

Don’t get me started.

Ray-Of course those HI-YO REA AWAAAY have absolutely nothing to do with the Lone Ranger. They were advertising gimmicks for Railway Express in, I believe, about mid 1970’s. There are at least 5 versions of that cartridge, both nickel plated and plain brass.

Ron

The REA headstamp is a play on words from the Lone Ranger song and his famous parting shout,

[u][i][b]"Hi-Yo, Silver, Awaaay!" [/b][/i][/u]

So, it’s natural to call the REA cartridges the “Lone Ranger” cartridges.

But, that’s just the opinion of an ignorant farm boy who spent every Saturday morning with a bowl of Cheerios and the Lone Ranger.

Ray

Ray–I was sure YOU knew those Railway Express cartridges were not related to the Lone Ranger, except for the play on words, but I explained it for the benefit of some of our younger collectors who may not have grown up with the Lone Ranger. I can not tell you how many times I have seen in print or have been told at gun shows that those were actually Lone Ranger cartridges. When I explain what they really are, most of the time they refuse to believe it.

Ron,

Found this interview with Clayton Moore where he talks about handing out “Lone Ranger .45” “Silver Bullets”. About midway down responding to “Caller #5”. Thought you might be interested…

geocities.com/televisioncity … rview.html

Dave

Thanks for posting that link to the interview with Clayton Moore. I was an avid listener of the Lone Ranger as a kid. I didn’t see many of the TV shows, because we had no TV, but in later years, anytime I found one in rerun, I watched it. Reading that interview and this thread, now I have to find one of theose LONE RANGER .45’s.

My mother worked for REA Express as Secretary to the Vice President of Air Express in later years. She had worked for them for years during the 1930s, but left for a time, and then went back to work for them in the 1950s, and was still employed by them when she passed away. I have a few variations of the REA Away round, but didn’t even know about the Lone Ranger one.

Nice thread. Lots of good memories invoked by it.

Dave E.–Thanks for that link. Can’t get any better confirmation of what my “LONE RANGER 45” cartridge is than that. I had no doubt about it, given the fact that I personally removed that cartridge from the gunbelt at Ellis Mercantile. I might not have believed it had I heard the story 2nd or 3rd hand, but is nice to read it from the Lone Ranger himself.

To save people from having to call up that link and to make this thread more complete, here is the quote from a February 21, 1979 interview with Clayton Moore, the actor who played the Lone Ranger:

[color=blue][b]Caller #5: Hello I’m Tony and I would like to know if he really has silver bullets.

C: Yes I do Tony. However, the bullets that I used to give away years ago were aluminum. And on the back of the aluminum bullets was “Lone Ranger 45.” So if you ever run across one of those, be sure you hold on to it, because they’re quite a collectors piece today. [/b][/color]

How about someone posting a picture of the cartridge and the headstamp, to really fill out this thread. I would if I had one.

Photos of the three 45 Colt Commemoratives that I have.

1. Lone Ranger
  2. REA
  3. Charlton Heston Silver Bullet Brigade

Second photo = headstamps

Third photo is the Lone Ranger with bullet removed.

Ray

That interview with Clayton Moore was certainly interesting and nostalgic. But my relationship with the Lone Ranger goes back a little further, to the radio days, when Brace Beemer was the voice behind the mask. By the time the TV series began I was more interested in girls. I still am.
Ray

Are any of those cartridges made of actual cartridge components?

The Lone Ranger and Silver Bullet Brigade are not. I’m not positive on the REA. I’ve not pulled the bullet to see what mine consists of. As Ron said, there are several variations of the REA and it may be that the only difference is the headstamp. But, I don’t know.

Ray

Falcon–The REA cartridges are actual components. The cases are nickeled brass and the bullets are nickel plated 230 gr, .45 ACP bullets.

FYI, the Charlton Heston is one of a series given to NRA members who contribute to the various fund raisers. They are solid steel, chrome plated. I have others but would have to dig them out to tell you what they are. I do remember that one was a Tom Selleck 45 Cal Sharps Cartridge.

Ray

The Aluminum Lone Ranger bullets were made by Speer / CCI using their .45 ACP bullet dies. Not sure who made the cases. No connection to the Heston or REA variations

Pete–Thanks for the additional info. Do you know who made the REA rounds?