"Long" Danish .30-06

I read on another forum that some Canadian and Danish U.S. M-1917 rifles have a notch milled into the top of the receiver ring. Supposedly this was to allow their “long MG heavy ball and tracer ammunition to be loaded into the rifles with stripper clips (chargers)”. Can anyone substantiate this? I’ve looked through all of my reference material and can not locate any “long” loaded Danish .30-06 ammunition! I would think that if the cartridges were too long to fit the normal receiver opening, then they would be too long to fit the magazine as well.

AKMS

I have not noted that cut in any 1917 receivers, and don’t know if that is true or not. However, we we converted my Sako heavy barrel varmint rifle, .223 caliber, to an iron sight target rifle, with combination rear sight base (for Redfield International) and clip loadiing slot, it was necessary to notch the front of the receiver even though the rounds fit the magazine. The clip sits at a slight forward tilt in the guide to feed properly, making the notch in the rear top of the front receiver ring necessary for bullet clearance as the rounds are pressed down into the magazine box.

Great shooting rifle by the way, and in an area of the country where our longest range was 200 yards, it was at no disadvantage to .308s and 30-06s, and the short bolt throw was fast, as was recovery in rapid fire, due to almost zero recoil.

So, at least that part of what you heard possibly makes some sense.

AKMS

That Enfield may very well have a milled slot as you described, but the story about it being needed for long 30-06 cartridges needs some provenance.

The Enfield is a big strong action and many were sporterized to fire big strong cartridges such as 375 H&H. The conversion sometimes consisted of opening up the magazine box slightly and also cutting a notch in the receiver ring to facilitate loading the magazine. It may be that someone saw the rifle, didn’t know what the slot was for, and jumped to a conclusion.

The commercial version of the Enfield, the Remington Model 30, had a cut like that to accomodate the big cartridges, I think.

You can find Mauser actions that had the same alterations. And, if you’ll look at the older Remington 721 and 725 rifles you’ll see a factory slot in the back part of the bridge for those that were chambered in 300 and 375 H&H. That slot is often mistaken for a clip slot, which it is not. I assume the M 700 Remingtons that were chambered for the 8mm Rem Mag had a slot also.

But, having said all that, there may be a “long” 30-06 cartridge after all.

Ray