Looking for 55/303 Boys Experimental

Sorry I was unable to continue on the old post.
This is for those that have a particular interest in the 55 cal boys round
The picture posted by Pete de Coux with the stamp 7416 AW is a pre
production round made in 1937 by Kynoch.And W stands for armour
piercing.Now for those that wish to have some details be advised that
there is a very knowledgable write up in one of the IAA Journals
JAN-FEB 2011 issue 477.As I understand the whole thing this
cartridge with this stamp is a proto type for this round.
Sherryl

No idea why you decided to start a new thread on the subject here instead of continuing it on the buy /sell /trade forum.

Ok Pete
I will tell you why I started a new post I am just not that good with a computer When I wanted to
reply under the old post the REPLY BOX disappeared this happened to me a few times and I just
do not know how to bring that thing back or what to do so I start a new one.I consider myself
lucky I can deal with this monster at all
Sherryl

1 Like

I gress that makes sence, ain’t computers fun

Pete
Thanks for understanding,do you think I like that starting these new post not a bit
I just do not know why sometimes that reply box is not there or for some reason
just vanisfess and there seems no way bring it back,but at the same time one
cannot reply to the post.However this all may be,maybe than it gives us a better
understanding why still so many older people absolutely refuse to have Computers
Europa is really bad.
Sherryl

1 Like

Sherryl according to some notes I have from Tony Edwards on Boys rounds the “W” on the 7415 AW headstamp is not AP it is for Whitworth as in Armstrong Whitworth “AW”. The 7416 is the drawing number which I have somewhere but I cant find it just now. The 7416 is a standard .55 Boys AP round. I am lead to believe the .55/303 were manufactured from surplus cases and other headstamps do exist.

Pete on the other thread you show a picture of a headstamp and comment that it is a different one from the original post " 2 types of headstamp", I think I am having a retarded moment “which happen’s often” but they both look the same headstamp to me.

all the best
Richard.

Howdy Richard
in the other post I mentioned the three of these we has sold at auction, all three were headstamped just with "K. 37"so the one I showed was different with the 7415AW at 600h.

We’ve sold three headstamped K.37 at 12,
sales# - (price): 1-410 ( 250 ), 12-315 ( 1000 ), 15-421 ( 850 )”.

At the Vic Engel auction, one appeared:
…experimental circa 1942+, BOARD DUMMY, 3.92" brass case with 4 mounting holes, snapped brass primer, guilding metal clad steell bullet…
Price:430

Sorry Peter I understand now “like I said retarded moment” :-)
I have just been going through the Labbet & Edwards files and have found a fantastic write-up in Guns Review from 1976, it is very in-depth. I will try and post it as a pdf on this thread.

all the best
Richard.

Here go’s, I hope this is of use to someone.

The Boys Anti-Tank Rifle and Ammunition Guns review 1976.pdf (5.6 MB)

Richard

2 Likes

Peashooter
No What you write is not so that is why I suggested explicitly to find
that write up in that IAA journal I do not want to peel that apart at this
post because it is not that easy to understand this guy did his research
work and believe me I have no intention of taking anything away from
the Expert Tony Edwards
Sherryl

The one I used in the photo with the “K37 7415AW” headstamp has a non-magnetic CN-jacketed bullet, and is a loaded example.

While the discussion here is about the British (training) rounds, keep in mind that the Canadian variation (.55/.303 and .55/7.92) was envisioned as an anti-armour weapon with TC cores being developed. A copy of the .55/7.92 blueprints was received at Long branch Arsenal (near Toronto) for this work. Much of this high velocity work was undertaken by S.G. Newton. I have the original tracings and blueprints used to make the dies to neck the .55 to .303.

A typical Canadian headstamped cased was used, i.e. DAC 42 WII

Paul

Peashooter
The write up in the IAA Journal does not deal with the Boys Ammo as such
only with this specific round 7415 AW
Sherryl

This is your quote you wrote “W” stands for AP on this round, I am only pointing out that it does not stand for AP it stands for Whitworth. This is quoted in the article you are telling us all to read and as you say I am sure he did his research well. The info I had was not written by Tony it was the IAA article and the guns review article niether written by Tony, they were in the reference collection I inherited from Tony when he passed away.

Thanks PaulSmith thats another headstamp for me to look for

cheers
Richard.

There was also a short article in Guns Review by Peter Labbett on ammuntion for the Boys Rifle. Many years ago I was lent an entire run of the magazine and was able to scan all the articles of interest to me at that time … for some reason I close-cropped the text so I’ve no idea of the date of publication.

Truly, this interest of ours is built on the shoulders of giants … the study of things being at least as important as the things themselves.

Peter

3 Likes