Looking for guidance on 20 gauge circa late 1920's ammo

Thanks in advance for this forum.

Here is what I am trying to do and I am looking for willing experts to guide me, as I really do not know where to start.

I have a registered and legal Ithaca Auto & Burglar 20 gauge built in 1926. It was built on their New Improved Double NID frame and accepts 2 3/4" shells, also referenced as a model B.

It is my intention to display this occasionally. For that I have acquired a couple items to display with it, an original 1926 Ithaca catalog and mailing envelope which are both works of art, and also an original Ithaca A&B holster.

My plan is to attend a couple cartridge shows in October that are relatively nearby for me, Medina, OH and Leroy, IL.

What I am looking for is an original box of 20 gauge shotshells, from the era 1926 up to say early 1930’s, that would be visually appealing, and appropriate for the firearm to include in the display.

What I am asking the board experts is some guidance as to what I should be shopping for.

Appreciate any input.

thanks
michael

WELCOME TO THE FORUM Mike1921 - IF YOU ARE NOT AN IAA MEMBER YOU SHOULD CONSIDER JOINING. I DON’T KNOW ENOUGH ABOUT SHOTSHELLS TO HELP YOU FIND EXACTLY WHAT YOU NEED TO DISPLAY WITH YOUR FIREARM. HOWEVER, THERE WAS A REQUIREMENT, WHICH STARTED IN 1926, THAT REQUIRED AMERICAN SHOTSHELL MANUFACTURERS TO INCLUDE THE WORDS “MADE IN U.S.A.” AS PART OF THE SHELLS HEADSTAMP. THIS PRACTICE CONTINUED FOR A NUMBER OF YEARS, TO CIRCA 1941 I THINK. SO YOU NEED TO FIND YOURSELF A NICE BOX OR TWO WITH SHELLS THAT HAVE THIS MARKING ON THEM. WITHOUT THE MARKING THE SHELLS WOULD BE EITHER TOO EARLY OR TOO LATE. A NICE PETERS BOX WOULD BE COLORFUL OR A NICE UNITED STATES CARTRIDGE Co. BOX, WOULD BE ANOTHER GOOD CHOICE. YOU ALSO HAVE REMINGTON-UMC AND WINCHESTER BOXES TO PICK FROM. BE PREPARED TO PAY MORE TO GET MORE - FULL BOXES IN EXCELLENT CONDITION WILL COST YOU MORE THAT A PARTIAL BOX IN REALLY GOOD CONDITION. IS YOUR FIREARM IN MINT CONDITION OR DOES IT SHOW SOME WEAR. IF YOU ARE DISPLAYING THE GUN IN AN EFFORT TO OBTAIN AN AWARD AND THE GUN IS ONLY 50 OR 70 PERCENT CONDITION AND YOU DISPLAY A MINT BOX OF AMMUNITION IT COULD COST YOU POINTS. BEST OF LUCK TO YOU!

GWB
That is a GREAT piece of information, exactly the type of information I need.
thanks
michael

Mike - you mentioned you are going to an Ohio Cartridge Show in Medina, in October. Check into this before you go. An Ohio show in October was cancelled. Unfortunately, neither of the notices on this Forum about that mention the location of the show. I live on the West Coast and cannot attend those shows in the East (or is that the Midwest?) so I am not up on the shows in Ohio, and don’t know if there was more than one.

I just didn’t want you to drive over there for the show if it is the Medina Show that is cancelled, so do check it out.

hello,

Have you info on this requirement ?

And are you sure it was really implemented ?

In the 1926-1941 catalogues, most of the headstamps are without “made in USA”

Thanks
JP

jeanpierre:

GO TO - www.cartridge-corner.com. IF YOU LIKE SHOTSHELLS YOU NEED TO LOOK AT THIS SITE.

[quote=“JohnMoss”]Mike - you mentioned you are going to an Ohio Cartridge Show in Medina, in October. Check into this before you go. An Ohio show in October was cancelled. Unfortunately, neither of the notices on this Forum about that mention the location of the show. I live on the West Coast and cannot attend those shows in the East (or is that the Midwest?) so I am not up on the shows in Ohio, and don’t know if there was more than one.

I just didn’t want you to drive over there for the show if it is the Medina Show that is cancelled, so do check it out.[/quote]

Good advice
thanks John

Mike, I think that in your search it may be of help to mention that in several Ithaca catalogs from this era this gun was offered for sale with optional “Buckshot shells $1.25 per box of twenty-five”. Regards, Fede.

Now that you mention it, I have seen that in the catalog and never considered it in my search until now.
thanks

[quote=“GWB”]jeanpierre:

GO TO - cartridge-corner.com. IF YOU LIKE SHOTSHELLS YOU NEED TO LOOK AT THIS SITE.[/quote]

I know this website.

My question was about the requirement to write “made in usa” on the headstamp of shotshells from 1926

JP