Looking for Information - Steve Fuller loads

Fielding a question for a friend. What is the story behind these rounds?

Click on the image to enlarge.

Thanks,
Paul

These cartridges were made up by Stephen Fuller, of San Jose, California, an active cartridge collector most of his adult life and perhaps the first cartridge collector I ever met. I was perhaps 22 or 23 years old at the time and I am now 80 years old.

The basic 10mm Mauser-head (diameter of the head of the cartridge) cases were made by Bertram Bullet Company, in Australia, and formed and trimmed as needed into the three calibers you show. They were basically a commemoration of the Mauser C.96 (Broomhandle) pistol and its two cartridges. I never understood why the 7.65 Parabellum cartridge was included, though.

They also served as the Show Cartridges for 19th Annual Trade and Display Show, California Cartridge Collectors Association, May 10 thru May 12, 1996, held at La Palma, in Southern California.

There are quite colorful boxes for them, as well, although I don’t recall any sort of full boxes. They were hand made up, pretty much, just for show, as an adjunct to the cartridges. I will, perhaps next week, if so desired by those on the Forum interested in this subject, to photograph them. While I know now, finally, how to post pictures here, I have had ongoing problems with photographing or scanning anything and getting the pictures into the computer where I can find them. I did not have that problem with my previous computer and software.

At any rate, at least we were able to answer the question. No guarantees on the box pictures.

John Moss

Thank you, John.

I figured you’d know, but posted here for the benefit of those interested.

My regards,
Paul

Here is a scan of the display cards. One turned out badly.

I am sorry for the poor focus of the front of the display. Evidently, my scanner has a very poor depth of field, and this is the best I could do. It is the first time I have ever scanned a “3D” image. My old scanner handled those well. I still have unresolved problems with posting pictures from my camera, so this was my only option.

John

There are three other boxes, one of them a prototype in black and white, but I think this one tells the story sufficiently.

John Moss

63%20Anniversary%20box%202 63%20Anniversary%20box

1 Like

I was checking my collection of these Commemorative rounds, all of which, to my knowledge, are inert dummies, most with either snapped primers or a hole drilled in the cup exposing the anvil in the primer pocket, and find there were four calibers:

7.63 x 25 mm Mauser
9x25 mm Mauser
9 x 19 mm Parabellum
7.65 mm Mauser

The first three were all chambered at one time or another in the C-96 type Mauser Pistol. I am not expert on these pistols, but I have not heard of one ever chambered in 7.65 mm Para, and significantly, that cartridge does not appear on the Display Cards that were made up for the CCCA. Only the first three mentioned cartridges are on the card.

The display cards, by the way, had the cartridges chrome plated and with small holes in the sides, but unsnapped nickel primer cups.

MARS-BB MAUSER C-96 (MARS was Steve’s business name, primarily for the sale of publications by him or others, which I recall stood for Military Ammunition Research Service, although I could be in error there).

There were three different headstamps, all three used on 7.63 mm Mauser, 9 mm Mauser, and 7.65 mm Parabellum (the latter of which possibly was not made up by Steve, but rather later, on the basic cases left over from the project. I am just not sure of that, but I remember getting my three 7.65s from someone else, some time after the project was completed). Follow are the headstamps:

MAUSER 1896-1993 (This headstamp was an error by Bertram, since the cartridges were ordered in 1993, well in advance of the Centennial of the Mauser Pistol and Cartridge).

MAUSER 1896-1996

To my knowledge, the 9 x 19 mm Para was only produced in a nickled dummy, one with nickel primer and one with copper primer, and using the last headstamp only. The other three calibers are are found with all three headstamps. I

There are variations found with the 7.65 mm Luger round which in two of the headstamps are found with both nickel and copper primer cups.

One of the 9 mm Mauser variations has a drill hole in a nickel primer cup, another of the headstamps has a snapped nickel cup, and the third headstamp has a snapped brass cup.

All of the .30 Mausers have snapped brass cups. When I say all, I am referring only to those variations in my own collection, since I know they exist. I am referring only to the plain brass case dummies, and not the chromed display card versions. I have never encountered a chromed version of the 7.65 Para.

John Moss