Looking for shell casing info

Hi I’m brand new to the forum and hope I’m posting in the right place and about the proper content…if not please let me know.

I have a old casing that has been passed down from my late father and looking to get some info on where it may have originated and if it has any real value…any info appreciated.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum, we will need a bit more info on the cartridge, eg, the diameter across the open end (mouth) & the overall length? A photo showing the side profile would also help.
What I can tell you is that it was made in 1902 by RL (Royal Laboratory) in England, it has been reloaded once since its original manufacture. It was used by the English Navy.
Regards Ozzi

Wow I’ve had this casing for many years and always wondered about it…I have more pictures but forum only allowed me 1 starting…total length is 15" inches and opening is 1" 3/4.

Looks to be a British 3pr (47mm) case, reloaded a few times.

1 Like

3 pounder Hotchkiss

Starting from the top

The asterisk preceding the II denotes that this is a Mk II case that has been modified, in relation to 3 & 6 pdrs this means that the primer hole has been rebushed or converted from a cap recess.

The encircled A and following punch mark denotes the case has, subsequent to manufacture, received high temperature annealing. Each subsequent annealing should be denoted by a punch mark, but this case only appears to have one.

The D31 and U38 are the year and lot numbers of the high temperature annealing. Without knowing how much of the alphabet they used, it’s a bit difficult to accurately date, D is about 1913 but U is 1930.

C F F. This is the life of the case. For this period, without going into too greater detail, cases had a maximum life of 6 equivalent full charges of smokeless propellant. For this period, the C can be taken to represent Cordite (it’s more complicated than that) The F denotes how many Full charges the case has had. The first F appears to have been barred out, if that is the case, it denotes for whatever reason the round has been broken down and the propellant removed.

The N as previously stated denotes it is a Naval store.

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNBR_3pounder_H_mk1.php

2 Likes

Wow that’s awesome information…I would never have been able to figure all that out…would this casing have any amount of value at all?

Unfortunately that crack running through the case head vastly reduces its potential value to a collector.