Looking For Winchester Box Info, 45 Colt K4545T

Can anyone find out if a Winchester K-code K4545T is in any catalogs in the 1920s?

This probably will not be much help to you. My Winchester catalogs end at 1918 and begin again at 1933, with a price list. I have none from the 1920s. I can tell you that none of my catalogs or price lists thru 1933 use index numbers, K-code or otherwise. Do not take this to mean that I am saying the codes were not used until 1934 because again, I do not have any literature for the 1920s so it is impossible for me to say whether or not any contained K-codes.

My first Winchester price sheet that has the K-codes dates from January 2, 1934, and it does reflect the code you mention as follows:
Bullet
Symbol Cartridge Type Wgt. Grains

K4545T .45 Colt Gov’t (.45 S.& W.)…Black Powder…Lead 230

Hope someone with 1920s Winchester Literature can be of more help to you.

John Moss

Catalog 82 which seems to be from 1920- 21 has no codes
Catalog 83 which is from 1926 has codes beginning with numbers 17NE & such.
Nov. 1932 catalog has the same as John notes
July 1931 catalog has the same as John notes

From my small Winchester center fire box collection I can offer these photos. A 2 piece box with the K code on the end wrap labels/seals. On the bottom the label has the print code of “640” and date of “7-20”. There is the dot perforation code that may give a clue, for someone who can decipher it.

The date code holes were made with a Cummins Cryptographic machine.
Peters also used this machine.

Guys thanks!
JohnMoss, that’s what I was hoping! Confirms what I thought!!! I estimated an earlier date but it certainly doesn’t mean they were not offered earlier. I have the 1925 catalog and then the 1938. It is
not listed in the 1938. It is in the 1925 but no caliber code, just a description as you mentioned, minus the .45 S&W description.

The photograph below from John Taylor (Leverguns). I can just make out the K-code on the bottom of the end flap just below the “Made In USA” call-out. The box is of the “1920” full cover design (Giles & Shuey) and has the black powder “Green” label with orange sides (red-W) that lapped acros the bottom, sealing the box.

45sc1a

Cartridge photos from Guy Hildbran aka oldammoguy

Oh, the M1873 and Schofield revolvers were long superseded by the Model 1909 when this particular 1920’s ammo was manufactured, thus the shorter cartridge was still being used by the Military well into the 1920’s.

Blockquote From my small Winchester center fire box collection I can offer these photos. A 2 piece box with the K code on the end wrap labels/seals. On the bottom the label has the print code of “640” and date of “7-20”. There is the dot perforation code that may give a clue, for someone who can decipher it.

savage, great photos!!! I would love to have been able to get a date from the 45 Colt Gov’t label but as you can see the bottom is long gone.

Your box/label appear to be of the same vintage as my box. But, the label dates can be misleading as, apparently, Winchester did not toss out old labels. The number 640 references the label version, so it could be a later version of a 1920 label… I think somewhere out there someone had figured out how to read the dot codes, which could nail down the actual production year of my box - thereby narrow down the era.

Your box/label appear to be of the same vintage as my box. But, the label dates can be misleading as, apparently, Winchester did not toss out old labels. The number 640 references the label version, so it could be a later version of a 1920 label… I think somewhere out there someone had figured out how to read the dot codes, which could nail down the actual production year of my box - thereby narrow down the era.

Absolutely, but what we can do is get close. The box you have is of the “1920” design made typically from about 1920 to 1927ish Since Winchester switched to the blue one-piece in 1928… There always seems to be a “lag” or a “mixture” when transitioning to a new design…I guess trying to save money and use up the old surplus when able. I guess that is why collectors call those two-piece boxes with the full covers, the “1920” box.

Yeap, the dot codes I have yet to search and I doubt I will since no one else has been able to figure it out. But even it was pat. in 1923, still falls in the “1920” box code dates. Maybe one day we can figure all of this out…lol