LSM model (WNY)

This is a VERY large model, the biggest I know anywhere. I am aware of Yamato model in Japan which is bigger youtube.com/watch?v=QDEaDY8naF0. If you like naval military models, I strongly urge you to visit WNY, you’ll be very happy.

What museum are these at? Niagara Falls?

You know they built LCT’s in Tonawanda?

WNY= Washington Navy Yard.

All of Vlad’s posts with (WNY) are from his visit there. And, greatly appreciated!

[quote=“JohnS”]WNY= Washington Navy Yard.

All of Vlad’s posts with (WNY) are from his visit there. And, greatly appreciated![/quote]

Ahh, I am thinking Western New York…

When I was a Sailor Boy, I happened to get to know another Sailor Boy who had served on an LSM for a short time after WW2. He said that it was the worst duty anyone could possibly get. With the flat bottom, it rolled in any kind of sea, it constantly reeked of diesel fuel. and was never quiet.

Those guys who served on LSMs and LSTs are the real unsung heroes.

“When I was a Sailor Boy, I happened to get to know another Sailor Boy”

Ray…sounds like the beginning of an interesting story…not that there’s anything wrong with that. (Yes, I beat all the other Seinfeld fans!)

jonnyc

I often run into USN sea-going vets from my era (KW). We can instantly connect because there are little idioms peculiar to our time that only we can relate to. Sailor Boy happens to be one. It goes back to those quaint times when liberty and shore leave usually involved the two most important things on a sailor’s mind - beer and girls. And not necessarily in that order. A standard greeting when entering an establishment catering to those two vices was, “Hi Sailor Boy. Buy me a drink?”

So, my use of that particular jargon may be quite the opposite of what you are probably thinking. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Ray

Actually, now that I ‘hear’ it with an accent, it makes more sense.