Luftwaffe 20 mm MG

Luftw1 Luftw2

A friend of mine has this cartridge, found close to his house in the early days of WW2.
The mouth Ø is 20 mm, I have no other Dimensions, but I guess this is well known?
Made by Poltewerke in 1938?

1 Like

Why Luftwaffe? This is a standard 20x138B Rheinmetall for AA guns.
Polte in 1938 is correct.

Hi and thank you:
‘Luftwaffe’ because it has always been believed that this cartridge came from above…?
No Becker MG was in service on 1940 + planes?

I thinking because Lancaster, judging by his name is in England… Perhaps?

No Becker in 1940, to be correct not after 1919.
And the Becker was chambered in 20x70RR. Also I would be surprised seeng those having been used above the UK back in 1918.

This case is a souvenir somebody has brought home.

Sorry to both of you: Ofcourse there is a central piece of info missing: My bad:
This case was found out west in NORWAY and is no souvenir brought home, this was found
in the field after a raid, at least as the story has always been told.

Good story, and it may be true, but it is very unlikely unless there was a German flak gun in the area and the aircraft were pretty low. Lots of other possibilities and no way to rule them out. Only the case knows the real story!

Lew

I thought they used 20x 138B autocannons on ground stuff as well

It was “ground only” except for an experimental version which was the MG C/30L in the mid 1930s which also is easy to tell apart from regular flak cases.

Sorry I meant in the ground assault/defense role not anti-aircraft role…

The Panzer II had a 20mm KwK 30 that fired the 20x138B cartridge, and the Solothurn S-18/1000 anti tank rifle fired it.