M1 Ball .30-06

Anyone here tell me a little history about ammo used for the M-1 Garand… which ammo is used for matches?

Don’t know if you are a member of the IAA already. If not, I would advise you to do so and
get a copy of the latest journal in which is an excellent article from Ray Maketa on
30-06 match cartridges. Another option is to get a copy of a book called 30-06 by a guy
named Chrispy or so. I guarantee you, it doesn’t get any better as that.

cheers
FD

If I joined every club or association people tell me to join, I would go broke…

".30-06 Chrispy???

The REAL name of the author of the book “.30-06” is Chris Punnett. This book is absolutely the best book available on the .30-06.

For detailed information on the history of the Cal. .30, Model 1906 cartridge as made for the U.S. Military, get copies of the following two books.

Hackley, Frank and Woodin, William and Scranton, Eugene. 1967-78. History of Modern U.S. Military Small Arms Ammunition. 2 vols. Macmillan. New York, U.S.A…

Vol 1 - 1880-1939. 328p. ISBN: 1-57747-033-8

Vol 2 - 1940-1945. 297p. ISBN: 0-88227-007-9

Some day there will be (or so they keep promising) a Vol. 3 covering 1946-Unknown Date, but probably 1976 when Frankford Arsenal closed)

Milboltnut

WELCOME to checking out the IAA Forum…where the end all, be all, (in my opinion) exists about ammunition/cartridge information…it may not get answered on this Forum, but the readers of this Forum know who and where to get the information/answers from the leading authorities in the WORLD.

I could not help but think reading Ron’s endorsement of Chris Punnett’s book…that you can get a smattering of that book by clicking on the link above “IAA Main Page” and look down the left hand tab links to "Introduction to 30-06 Cartridges”. (by Chris…from his book)

I think you may get a taste of why the FlyingDutchman wrote such a ringing endorsement of the IAA and its membership value. Albeit this Forum is free…for a small membership fee (all info on the home page) you can have access to purchasing a DVD with over 420 journals worth of “answers” ( a taste of that can be seen by checking those very same tabs under the “Cumulative Index”

Hope you will visit again

Pepper Burruss
IAA President

I just want to reinforce Pepper’s comment. The right place to start is the IAA Home Page with Chris Punnett’s introduction to the 30-06 cartridges. After you read that you can figure what else you may want to know.

You can also go to the Index and look up the other articles in the old IAA Journals which are available for $5 each. Then go to Wikipedia at en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.30-06_Springfield for another pretty good article on 30-06. Lots of free info on the internet.

Chris’ book is great! I have it and I don’t even collect 30-06. There are other good books if for example you only want to learn about US 30-06. But, at this point, you probably don’t want to buy or subscribe to anything.

Cheers,

Lew

Milboltnut–I suggest that while you are at the IAA Homepage looking at the article on .30-06 that you go to the very bottom of the left hand list and click on the sample of our Journal. This will give you a good idea of what the our Journal is like. This is NOT a special issue, but is just a random sample of what every issue (6 issues per year) is like.

Thanks for the welcome fellas… This seems like a good site to visit. Although it is inviting funds are a hinderance. BUT I will take advantage of your hospitality forthright. Thanks again.

boltnut

Are you looking for information specific to the M1 Garand and Match ammunition, or for info on the Cal .30 (30-06) in general?

Ray

M1 Garand and Match ammunition

A Garand collector looking for Match ammo to display with their guns would probably end up with just a few representative boxes of the types used in “service rifle” competition.

Pre-WW2 use would include National Match labeled boxes 1938-1940 (and the near mythical 1941 dated examples). The Garand was not really considered suitable for match use then, and was more of a “familiarization” item so no special packing in 8 round clips was provided, only the normal 20 round cartons for use in the M1903 Springfields.

National Match competition was suspended during WW2, and later resumed (1947? I think) but they used existing standard ball ammunition loads from the massive stocks on hand.

In 1957 Frankford Arsenal introduced special match grade ammunition again, in the attractive red white and blue 20 round cartons. The M1903 was still permitted in Service Rifle competition well into the 1960s, so the 20 round packing was suitable for all shooters who would then load it into 5 or 8 round clips.

At some point (late 1960s?) National Match ammo was also issued pre-loaded in 8 round clips, in the “.30 caliber” ammo cans bulk packed with 280 rounds, but no bandoleers. This was in addition to ammo provided in the 20 round cartons.

Ray Maketa’s article has loads of details, but the above may be a sufficient outline for use with the Garand. Many of the other more exotic loadings were provided for use in specialized rifles for specific matches, but not intended for use in the Garand.

John

A good summary. A couple of minor clarifications:

The National Matches were suspended during WW II and the Korean War. A few local and regional matches were held during this period but the M1 rifle was not available to civilians except on loan through the Director of Cilvilian Marksmanship, so it saw very limited use until the mid 1950s. The National Matches were resumed in 1953.

National Match ammunition was packed in 8 round clips beginning in 1957.

Ray