M1906 strange projectiles. Help (Answered by Ray, thanks)

I have two pulled projectiles 180.5 gr one cannelure and 179.5 gr two cannelure, plus one loaded round F A 3 6 that looks to be original. all seem to have a separate cone or cap that has 3 triangular lead or solder points. All Non magnetic.

Joe

Joe

Those appear to be variations of the bullet known in the U.S. as the W. R. A. Protected Point Expanding. The design was patented here and in countries on the Continent and possibly in England as well.

The FA 36 is most likely a reload.

See my article in the JOURNAL for a description of it and other U.S. Patented bullets.

Ray

Ray, thank you. It never ceases to amaze me as I have fingered 10’s of thousands of cartridges over the years and still there is more to be discovered and leaned. You know I have been getting the journal since 1992 and read the articles, but sometimes my retention is poor. Anyways do you have color pictures of the other photos in the article you could send me. Funny thing is I thought of just emailing you with the question and said to myself, I will just post it on the IAA Forum. Well maybe someone else will learn something also.

Joe

PS, Gorbenko came over as usual the other night and looked at the double cannelure and said " typical Winchester". That should have been a clue.

Joe

I’ll email you the photographs ASAP.

I immediately noticed the double cannelure bullet. I know of other Western and WRA double cannelure bullets but I wonder if that is one of theirs. It appears to have an open base which would make it suspect. I’m sure the second cannelure was added to help lock the core and jacket together but it’s still a risky design, one that you would not expect from a company as large as Olin.

Anyone have any comments?

Ray

of course Ray is right with his answer.
I have a few variations as well but can’t post any pictures because I am on vacation.
Sitting in Normandy, right on UTAH beach, 50 meters away from the waterline and
just 4 miles from St Mere Eglise.
In case I find anything special in our back garden, I will post it.

cheers
René

Ray, the construction of the 180 gr. P.E. on the left is identical to early Silvertip bullets made according to Crasnoff’s patent filed in 1940, which would mean that this is probably a late Super Speed brand production made just a few years before it was discontinued. The second cannelure was indeed added to bind together jacket and core more securely, as mentioned in Winchester literature.

Fede

I think you are correct, as you usually are. What I mistook for a lead base is probably and indented GM base. I looked at some of my older Western and WRA bullets with two cannelures and they are constructed the same way.

Rene

That sounds like a really great vacation. I’ll bet that your eyes are constantly searching the ground for souvenirs. How about finding an empty FA 41 NM case?

Ray

Sorry for the poor pictures guys. I am definitely no photographer. Yes it has a heal rolled indented GM base.

Joe