M22 30.06 Frangible

M22 30.06 frangible, bakelite? 108gr projectile, green/ white tip. Headstamp - LC/ 45
Seems to be more metal than bakelite.

wolf

The Cal .30 M22 Ball Frangible uses the T44 bullet. It’s about 50% bakelite and 50% powdered lead.

Ray

Can anyone tell in what application the 7.62x51 with this type of projectile was used? Also for AA firing and from which weapons and at what targets?

EOD

Here’s the “official” use of the M160 frangible cartridge:

Machine Guns, 7.62mm, M219 and M240. The
cartridge is designed for firing single shots in the
machine gun for gunnery practice.

The 7.62mm cartridge was first envisioned as a shorter, lighter, standardized replacement for the Cal .30. As such, attempts were made to duplicate all of the various Cal .30 loadings even though many of them were more-or-less obsolete and should have been retired (the T103 Observing, for example). IMHO, the M160 Frangible is one of those that has little purpose in the modern age.

Of course, that’s simply my own opinion. Maybe others can shed more light on the justification for it and how it is actually used in real life.

Ray

Ray, thanks for clarification. So the use has totally changed from the active days of the 30-06.

EOD,

For what it is worth, I was helping out the US Army EOD unit at Fort Polk, Louisiana, with a range clearance in 1977, right after my graduation from NAVSCOLEOD. Fort Polk had been designated to bed down the “5th Mechanized Infantry” and needed to expand a helicopter parking ramp over an old 2.36 bazooka training area. While at Ft Polk, I saw “hundreds” of rounds of the 7.62 X 51 NATO with the gray bakelite bullets with the green and white tips. The Army EOD guys told us that the coaxial MG was used to fire these rounds against other tanks, simulating tank-to-tank combat in a maneuver area of the range complex. Now, we were visiting Air Force guys, and could be easily misled! But the frangible rounds were definitely from the tank MGs, and not from a “normal” small arms range. I couldn’t get my hands on a box, label or any other documentation.
Taber

Taber,
Thanks a lot for sharing your experience on these, very interesting to hear!
Fire in the hole!

Taber

That’s interesting. Would that be fun, or what!

I wonder if the MGs were modified? I seem to remember that one problem with the Frangibles was that most auto weapons would not function without some sort of attachment.

Ray

If you look at the color tips the fragible and the dim tracer have the same color code. How do you tell them apart?? thanks

By the jacket color?

Vic

That’s only on the 7.62mm cartridges, AFAIK. I assume you’ve read the thread on the M276 by wolfganggross?

Anyway, the Dim Tracers have the GM or GMCS bullets whereas the Frangibles have the bakelite/lead bullets that have a distinctive dark gray color.

But, it’s something that should not have happened because it would be easy for the uninformed GI to mix the two. One reason for the green/white tip on the Cal .30 Frangibles was to insure that they would never be mistaken for a ball cartridge. In those days they were shooting them at piloted airplanes. Lightly armored, but a real live pilot!

Frangible on right.

Ray