M43 type PS & 57-N-231 (7.62x39)

Hello

I have read in some books that there is a difference between M43 and 57-N-231 ball rounds in 7.62x39,

The difference was around the steel core, so I’m asking what is the difference between them? as I have only seen M43 rounds and nothing online mentions any difference between them.

Thanks in advance

ABRAHAM

I wonder where you got this info from?
The designation for the M43 ball (steel core) is “PS” and the index 57-N-231 for it is the internal/industrial designation.

military :wink:

1 Like

“internal” does not exclude military… :wink:

1 Like

The grim reaper was the book that mentions such things.

They are listed as types of 7.62x39 and if you have the book it is on 874-876

And it’s mentioned that 57-N-231 is similar to M43 except there is a difference in the steel core.

And from previous topics I’ve read you mentioning that this book is not accurate on ammunition chapter. So I just wanted to confirm to what depth its inaccuracy is.

internal - yes, industrial - incorrect! :wink: :wink:

1 Like

And good you have asked!
What you said above is once more confirmation on the ammo chapter being useless.

1 Like

A book that apologizes that the author very well knows about the designation AK-47 being totally wrong in every aspect, but feels he has to use it in his book because so many ignorant idiots [my words] do not know better and considers it is asking too much of them to learn the facts, is in my view totally useless, not just its ammunition chapter.

4 Likes

I was just frustrated when I’ve read about the inaccuracy in this book even with the ongoing hype and ratings about it.

I believe such inaccuracies reduces the credibility of the book in all its chapters.

I hope there are some expert reviews on such books to save us from draining money for nothing but pictures.

Thank you very much for the replies

1 Like

Hype by whom?
The popularity of some things is basing on the ignorance of the followers.
Or the old saying: the one-eyed is the king of the blind.

What is driving me crazy is that they were using Bill’s name in this book!
I am sure that when he helped them with one or two questions he never got to see what cra… they were going to publish.

This is a good example of overrated self confidence of people (self-proclaimed experts) who think they do not need peer reviews!

3 Likes

The One-Eyed Man is indeed King of the Blind Alex…this not only applies to books but geopolitics as well!

1 Like

Henry, indeed, and also the rest of the world and life.

The M43 designation is too ambiguous in this case, as the “7.62mm cartridge pattern of 1943” refers to all types of this round, and normally also requires addition to specify bullet type, i.e. “7.62mm cartridge pattern of 1943 with steel core bullet (type PS)” or ““7.62mm cartridge pattern of 1943 with tracer bullet (type T45)” and so on
The GAU code 57-N-231 refers to one specific type of cartridge, the “7.62mm cartridge pattern of 1943 with steel core bullet (type PS)”
Other types, such as API, would have a different code, such as 57-BZ-231, and so on
Also, since 1960s GRAU uses different style of indexes, and now the latest AP version of the same 7.62mm cartridge pattern of 1943” cartridge is desinated 7N23

Finally, the original variant of the M43 cartridge, as produced between 1943-45 or 47 (depends on the source, and used experimentally before adoption of the new system in 1949), had a lead-core bullet with flat base, and case 41mm long.

3 Likes

As Max is saying, the “M43” stands only for the caliber 7.62x39 (after the adoption in 39mm cases).

1 Like

Speaking of which…here is a nice box of M43 from 1950…

3 Likes

@hfhubbard11
Any idea what headstamp was packed in it?

Yes sir, 60 over 50; Russian State Factory at Frunze, Kirgisia, Russia…

2 Likes

Henry, thank you very much!

Henry, not to nitpick, but readers may run with it some day.
The country is spelled “Kyrgyzstan” or “Kyrgyz Republic”.

I’ll admit, it was a cut and paste from IAA Head Stamp Code list lol…