M59 Bullet, again

On an earlier thread I showed a sectioned M59 bullet. I decided to take a new photo and add it’s mother, the T11 bullet. The T11 is a nominal 136 grains and is loaded in the FAT104 and FAT104E1 cartridges.

It’s obvious that I am not yet the master of my new camera. I don’t know why the bullets look like they’re made of different materials. They’re not.

Is that a neat box, or what?

Ray

Ray,

There isn’t much that box doesn’t tell you! Never too much information…

Very nice photography, I must say. Cropping that will please Rick, no doubt. Thank you for the very informative and artistically rendered photos.

Dave

Thank you Dave, even though I know that you’re only trying to be nice. The photos still suck. I waited to post this on Saturday because I know for a fact that Rick sleeps from Friday night until church on Sunday morning.

You can’t tell from the photo but the early boxes were actually made for Cal .30 (30-06) so there is a lot of air space. Later ones were the regular 7.62mm size. And the cartridges are headstamped FA 49.

Ray

That’s interesting, Ray. This is the first time I’ve seen a sectioned T11. It appears to have a GM base plug?

Perhaps it’s caused by a reflection of the camera on the T11?

Hey y’all. Just got in from church. Stopped by an orphanage, to volunteer, on the way home, as well. That’s why I’m late in responding.
WOW!! RAY!!! Did you steal those photos from somebody? I think there’s some copyright infringement going on there. Not that there’s anything wrong with that. Somebody said theft was the highest form of flattery. Or something like that, anyway.

On the photo-ing front, and in a blatant attempt to steal this thread, I offer the following hints. No pro at this myself, but have learnt a few things over the past, especially about options pertinent to our needs. The owner’s manual is near 300 pages, chock full of info. Which is why I haven’t read and “absorbed” from it. Experience being the best teacher and all.

The “tulip” icon, and we’re talking digital camera here, Mr. Ray, not an INSTAMATIC 126(with rotating flash cube), is the best setting for shots like Ray’s sectioned projectiles. Excellent shot there, by the way. No glare. Coulda used a little more cropping, but shows them well. That’s the MACRO setting and lets you get up close and personal. Lighting being the deciding factor on details.

Focusing is affected by pushing half way down on the shutter button and waiting 'til the little green box(es) appears and the picture steadys in the viewer. Locks it in, so to speak. My problem is having a decent display on the view screen. Inside is never a problem, but sunlight pretty much washes it out and I just go for it. Easy enough to delete if unacceptable.

Photoshopping skills are where I’m really lacking, but learning something new every time I use it. Probably the best tool for getting a displayable shot, enhancing and cropping for the definition in it. The options available for touching-up a photo are endless.

And sorry, Ray. Really didn’t want to steal this, but noting your improving skillz in such a short time is what this is really all about. I’d recommend reading the owner’s manual for details, but pushing buttons and seeing what happens isn’t the worst way to learn. Unless you’re in EOD or something. Probably only works once.

Rick

Your tutorial is appreciated. Really.

I did read the owner’s manual, which is really nothing more than an owner’s instruction sheet. Even it is oriented toward young folks taking a snap shot at a party and how to avoid red-eye and making sure that both Bobbi’s and Samantha’s faces are in focus.

I think what I really need is good photo-shop software, but I’m too cheap to buy it. I use the program that came with my old, expensive, FUJI camera and even it has only the basics. So you guys will have to suffer my photos along with me.

Now, have to run. The van from the orphanage is here to give me a ride.

Ray

Ray–Try GIMP. It takes care of your first problem. It is FREE. Get it here:

gimp.org/

It will do 99% of what PhotoShop will do. The learning curve on ANY of these full featured photo manipulation programs is pretty high. So, it may be above your paygrade. But I see that The GIMP team, for the first time, is putting out an instruction manual, so, maybe there is hope for you.

Ron

I downloaded GIMP using your previous link and got snowed under. Maybe I’ll try it again if there’s an on-line manual. On the other hand, I can simply use my existing program and let you guys agonize over my lack of PC savvy. ;)

Ray

Your photos are fine, Ray.

One tip: get a sheet of white paper to put the cartridges on, and curve it upwards, sticking it to something (I use the frame of my computer screen!). This will give a plain background. I also use a strip-type desk lamp which gives an almost shadow-free image.

Ray–Like I said, there is a BIG learning curve. The On-Line Manual that was offered before was more of an out-line. The NEW Instruction Manual (New this week) should be better. I have not looked at it since I just found out about it 30 minutes ago when I went to the web site to get the URL for you. Go to the link above for information on the NEW manual.