M865 TPCSDS-T 120mm Cartridge

I have an M-865E2 projectile, a Case Base - and a wood lathe. What I need is the measurements for the Combustible Cartridge Case, Case Cover, and Cap Assembly. I want to mock up the complete cartridge - unless somebody can tell me where I can obtain a “real” Combustible Cartridge Case.

See this exploded view: fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/m865.htm

Welcome Gunnut, glad to see you made it over. I hope one of the “Big Boys” sees this soon.

I was sent over here from another forum. I had this topic posted and was not getting any response. When I questioned the lack of response, I was pointed in this direction. If what I have read/seen so far is normal, I expect my question will be answered shortly.

Looks like a great place to hang out. I don’t ask a lot of questions, but I do a lot of reading. :>)

Quite a project Gunnut, and welcome to the forum.
Don’t be to discouraged if no one pops up with your answers right away. SLICS begins this week and lots of folks will be there or on the way.
Good luck on your reconstruction!

I don’t mean to toot my own horn, but I have been called a fairly accomplished woodworker. I am fairly certain I can turn it on my lathe just as soon as I get some sizes.

I appreciate the heads-up on the SLICS. As I said before, I was directed to this site from another. I have spent the last 4 or 5 hours trying to get through the acrhives. I think I am at page 30 of 80. I have already started a file on information I have gained for items in my collection. It is great to check my database with “need more information” comments and then be able to find the information right here - complete with photos.

You got a heckuva place here!

Gun Nut–We have a couple of people on the Forum that specialize in the big stuff. One of them, I know for a fact, has a complete Dummy round of the type you are asking about, so I am sure he can give you complete dimensions. But most likely will not be until next week after SLICS.

I did see the photo on the “Introduction to collecting artillery shells and shell casings” page on the Main Page. I am trying to do a CAD (Computer Aided Drafting for the non-cartridge collector guys) drawing. It is rather difficult due to the angle the photo.

I really believe someone here will have the information I need and I am aware of the SLICS thing. I hope you all don’t mind if I send this BTT from time to time.

This is a great place to hang out and I am grateful for the information.

I saw three complete practice rounds at the militaria collectors Show of Shows in Louisville in February. They were really heavy. Priced at $60. I was told they could be taken apart and even had simulated power charges in them.

“I saw three complete practice rounds at the militaria collectors Show of Shows in Louisville in February. They were really heavy. Priced at $60. I was told they could be taken apart and even had simulated power charges in them.”

That would be a good deal for me. I expect I will have more than that in mine when I am done with it. It seems all the good stuff in my collection is “really heavy” - or - I might just be getting more exhausted as time goes by. :>)

Hey, there are a few guys that collect 16 inch stuff and bigger! They laugh at you and your little 120mm stuff! You know you’ve max’d-out when you need to rent a lift and a trailer to go pick up rounds for your collection.

Actually, I was tracking a 16" training round on another web site for awhile. It was rather inexpensive and I thought it might go cheap. After I thought about it. I decided that my trailer would not even carry the darn thing - plus I wasn’t sure how I was going to move it, when I got it home. I let it go - and complain about the 120mm stuff. :>)

Gunnut, I’m afraid I can’t answer your question but check this site to learn about factory assembling the M865 cartridge.

marcorsyscom.usmc.mil/am/amm … l10No2.pdf

Western

Send me a personal email and I will refer you to an expert in this type of ammunition. He can answer all of your questions.

[quote=“Western”]Gunnut, I’m afraid I can’t answer your question but check this site to learn about factory assembling the M865 cartridge.

marcorsyscom.usmc.mil/am/amm … l10No2.pdf

Western[/quote]

Unbelievable! They load / make them in the other corner of my state. Thanks for the info.

Just sent you a e-mail. Happy to help with the measurements for your fabrication. I also have a friend who makes exact fiberglass CCC cases for this round. I could ask him if he has any available if you like? Send me some pics of your projectile as I know of at least 3 different MODS of the M865 and each connects to its CCC case differently.

Jason

[quote=“APFSDS”]Just sent you a e-mail. Happy to help with the measurements for your fabrication. I also have a friend who makes exact fiberglass CCC cases for this round. I could ask him if he has any available if you like? Send me some pics of your projectile as I know of at least 3 different MODS of the M865 and each connects to its CCC case differently.

Jason[/quote]

I did receive your email. I have a meeting in Des Moines today - and a few more when I get home. I will try to answer your email as soon as I can. Yes, I was looking at the photo you enclosed. It looks like you might have a few of these - assuming that was your collection.

ok :-)

I got your e-mail and will try taking measurements for you soon using some calipers so you can attempt to recreate it on your wood lath. I will post a diagram for you here on the forum as soon as I can :-)

On a separate note, I am not sure if it is possible to locate, but on the old forum, I started a thread on the M865 with lots of pictures of the different variants. Anyhow, I will try to get some measurements for you soon.

Jason

Thank you.
I am looking forward to the info.

Ok, I finally had the time to get to your requested measurements. Very sorry for the delay. First, i’d like to mention that you have a early mod M865 and not the E2 variant as yours has the pierced cone verse the E2 slotted cone. Both designed to use the LKL principle to reduce there range. Anyhow, I photographed my M865 pierced cone variant so I could print it out to use as a diagram which I latter scanned back into my computer. I am not good with computers and am very sorry if the pictures are to big. I have not figured out how to shrink the file sizes. If a moderator wants to do it or tell me how, please feel free.

I hate reading calipers so I labeled each measurement to correspond to a numbered photo showing the calipers. Please note, that this particular M865 case I used to measure is made from a museum replica constructed of fiberglass that was molded from a real CCC. The projectile and aft cap are inert and real.

This photo is from a factory cutaway of a M865E2 round. I am using it to show how the CCC case connects under the black rubber gasket on the projectile. Measurement # 9 does not include the additional case height required to do this.

I wish you the best! Send pictures!

Jason