Magtech First Defense "Justice" - photo update

Magtech’s 2nd generation of it’s solid copper hollow point “First Defense” has just hit some store shelves after debuting at this year’s SHOT show. According to the literature posted on some retail sites it is the same exact thing as the original First Defense except that it now has a coating of tin on the projectile which is aimed at prolonging barrel life and “increasing energy levels”. Seems like copper would have been fine?.. The packaging is different of course, and they have added the word “Justice” to the name:

Some online retailers are now closing out their old stock of 1st gen First-Defense loads to make room for the new ones. I assume that the .45 GAP will not be renewed in the newer “Justice” style since that caliber has sort of dwindled in use since the earlier flirtations with it when Magtech first came out with the First Defense load. The Magtech website does not say anything however and is woefully out of date with no press releases since 2006, and their catalog still dates to 2010 and does not show the Justice load. The original First Defense calibers were: .380acp, 9mm, .45acp, .45GAP, .38spl, .357mag, and .40S&W.

Here are some pics of the boxes & ammo that I have received for the newer style Magtech First Defense “Justice” loads. They are basically the same exact thing but with tin coating the copper bullets. There are a few tiny differences though, such as the 9mm load now being +P and having a corresponding +P headstamp on the new Justice type which the original First-Defense did not since it came only in standard pressure. The base of the bullets also appears slightly different in that the ring edge evident on the original style copper bullets is either not there or nearly filled-in on the Justice style. Lastly, the .40S&W bullet on the newer Justice type appears to have deeper partial serrations on the hollow point edge as compared to the original style:

Boxes:

.40S&W box back:

3 calibers / headstamps:

9mm bullets & base:

.40S&W bullet serration profile:

I have to wonder a bit about the safety of tin-plated bullets, if that’s what they are. Reason is the experience in the post-WWI era using tinned CN-jacketed bullets in the .30-'06 wherein the bullets allegedly “cold-soldered” themselves to the interior neck wall, raising chamber pressures greatly.

They say “tin”, but I have to wonder if it’s some sort of slightly more complex alloy that they are plating the bullets in. Probably something to do with how the plating process works and what lubricant might be built into it makes for a safe bullet. Or maybe just that the barrels which these bullets will go down being only 4 inches on average makes for avoiding the problem you mention?

To add to Dennis’ comment, tin fouling was also a bear to remove.