Mannlicher M1895 cartridge ID

So I found this M95 cartridge on a WWI battlefield. I’m intrigued by the heraldic lion because it’s the single cartridge with this headstamp that i found. Also, the monogram at 6 o’clock is as unknown to me as the lion. Can someone tell me something about both of them and if the headstamps help at discovering a context? (the army that used them). Thanks in advance!

SOFIA Arsenal, Bulgaria. The rampant Lion is the Royal Crest of Bulgaria ( up till 1944 Soviet Occupation).
CA is Cyrillic for SA.
Doc AV

1 Like

I found it together with 10-11 M95 cartridges, but manufactured either at the Manfred Weiss factory, either by K&C, is it possible that they were used by the bulgarians, even if they had Austrian/Hungarian markings? Or viceversa…
I mean, all of the bulgarian cartridges must’ve had bulgarian headstamps? :)))

During WWI, there was much interchange of 8x50R ammunition by Germany, Austro-Hungary, and Bulgaria. Also interchange of Army units…AH units fought on the Western front and Palestine, Bulgarians fought alongside AH troops in Serbia, and Greece, and so on.
The Russians also used a lot of captured 8x50R ammo.
So depending on the battlefield, any mixture of shells is possible

Doc AV

1 Like

Alright! Thanks!

I believe that contract 8 m/m m93 cartridges made by SFM for Bulgaria in the early 20th cent had headstamps in the Latin alphabet (SFM at 6 o’clock), and clips similarly marked (SF in circle). Jack

1 Like

It is an M95 i think, if it changes something.

The Rifle was M1895, the cartridge for it ( and the earlier M90 Karabiner) was the M1893 8x50R.
Lenght of case and powder type changed from M90 cartridge.
Doc AV

1 Like