Manufacture date from 22cal box type

Sirs,

is it possible for you to give me an estimation, even a rough one, about the manufacture date of these cartridges from the visual aspect of their box?

All the best
Andrea

1965 +/-

This website values your box at $15
sportingcollectibles.com/22_ammunition.html

MK108–This box style was produced from 1962 until 1971.

Sirs,

thank you very much…your informations are really useful for me!

Andrea

Sirs,

I have some additional questions.

Is it possible to know approximatively the quantity of 22LR ammunition H-stamped manufactured daily by the Winchester plant in that era?

Is it possible to know the average life time for the tool used to stamp the H letter on the case heads?

and, finally, how they manufacture this tool?..I am interested about the method they use to form the H letter on such tool.

All the best
Andrea

[quote=“MK108”]and, finally, how they manufacture this tool?..I am interested about the method they use to form the H letter on such tool.

[/quote]
Actually, could I expand this question into how all bunters are made? I have often wondered.

I’m surprised no one has jumped in on this one. I know just enough to be dangerous but that has never stopped me before.

A headstamp bunter is nothing more nor less than a hardened steel stamp with the letters, numbers, and symbols of the desired headstamp, only in reverse. For centerfire cases it usually will have an extension that forms the primer pocket at the same time. Stamping the headstamp is one of the last steps in making a cartridge case. It also serves to harden the head of the case (brass hardens by working it).

In olden days, bunters were made by hand by skilled tool and die makers and engravers. They were labor intensive and, therefore, very expensive. In later years, a master hob was made which, in turn, was used to make several bunters, all identical. Nowadays they are made of a hard steel, like tungsten, by one of the modern machining methods using digital input from computers.

And that’s all I know about that.

I seem to recall that there have old threads on bunters, including one that had a photo. Or maybe I saw that somewhere else.

Ray

Ray,

very interesting explanation.

All the best
Andrea

Although for a centerfire cartridge, this is what a headstamp bunter looks like.