Manufacture of small calibre cannon ammunition

How is the painted text applied to a 20 or 30mm cannon projectile? (See images)
And has anyone got a detailed manufacture process for 20/30mm projectiles?
(How it is done on the side of a case is already covered)

From a 1960s manual I read it appears to be some sort of screen printing process similar to a typewriter but I want to make sure with you guys.
Thanks!

images (31)

images (30)

I would imagine it would depend on the individual manufacturer and the era. It could be a silk screen, or a rubber stamp, or a laser or inkjet printing system.

I don’t think rubber stamps are used, at least not directly. ANY refferences would help.

Probably the same sort of high speed, high volume printing device used for putting “best by” dates on food items, including cans, cellophane, etc.

Rubber stamps were used in putting case wall print on paper shotgun shell bodies. The stamp was in a long strip mounted to a roller & was rolled onto the body as both turned.
No idea if in fact it was used, but it could have been, as the technology was in use by ammunition makers.
You will notice I put era / time in my post. It is just a method of applying print to a round object perhaps done much earlier that your interested.

I think most likely each maker unless the presses / equipment were from the same equipment maker had a way of doing it according to the equipment design.

Sorry I not not a very satisfactory answer, but I don’t believe there is a simple answer, covering the subject.

1 Like

I work in a factory the does that sort of printing on food items, it would work on the side of the case but not the projectile which is my main interest.

here’s an high speed printed one ( Czech 20x102 MPL-20 HEI)

Interesting, the solvent and ink we use at work ruins paint, this one must be different.
Do you know how painted text is applied?

Painted text is done like they mark a lot of common things…
A silk screen ink impression on a flat surface, witch is then transferred by a rubber (or other soft material) stamping pad to the projectile.
I also believe that in the 60’s the roll-stamp methode (like Pete explained) was used

1 Like