Marking Cartridges

Does anyone advise to not mark a modern cartridge with an ultra-fine Sharpie brand marker? If so, do you have a suggestion for marking cartridges?

Chris.

Chris–I prefer the Pilot Ultra-Fine point SCA-UF. The point is even finer than the Sharpie and much less resistant to rubbing off. I have used this type for 40+ years. I have used acetone to remove the makings on some cartridges that I had marked 35 years ago and can see NO evidence of any damage, no etching or discoloration of any type. I think I can safely say this type is quite safe to use for marking cartridges. I could not find the Pilot pens for severial years and tried the Sharpie pens, but found them quite inferior, mostly because they would smudge and ruboff quite easily.

Chris

I use the Sharpie, for two reasons.

1. I like to be able to remove the markings when I want and you can certainly do that with the Sharpie.

2. I don’t know where the heck you get the Pilot pens. I’ve tried every store in beautiful downtown Linden and they don’t have them.

Ray

I don’t like the Sharpie, but I can’t find the Pilot pens either, which is what I used years ago. I could probably find them in San Francisco, but I hate even going into that city anymore, even though I was born there. I wonder why they are so hard to find when you can find the Sharpie anywhere?

Here is a good PDF article on marking items… (500K)

http://www.illinois-history.gov/iam/members/PDFs/HowToN16MarkObjectsPtI797.pdf

Also stated a few places you can get Pilot markers… Artist or office supply stores…

just my 2 cents…

It appears that the Pilot SCA-UF pens are readily available at art supply stores. Luckily I have a Utrecht near by which stocks the pens. I wonder if a craft supply store like Michael’s carries them.

Chris

This subject probably does not deserve this much attention but - I see absolutely nothing wrong with using the Sharpie. I mean, c’mon, it’s a pen for marking stuff.

And if you think you can walk into ANY store in beautiful downtown Linden AZ and buy a Pilot pen, you ain’t never been to Linden. :) :)

Ray

You can pretty well count out finding ultra sharp Pilot pens in the same store where you buy your dog food and socks, huh Ray?

I’ve never used a sharpie pen…I feel life has passed me by…

Guy

Linden is not THAT podunk. There are two stores, one for dog food and one for socks. ;)

Armourer

Fear not, I will include a free Sharpie in my next package to you. :)

To All About Pilot Pens: Yes, these pens are HARD to find. About 3 years ago, after not being able to find the Pilot SCA-UF pens locally for a number of years (Lansing, MI, population of about 130,000, the Capital of Michigan, is not as small as Podunk. We actually have a town with that name about 60 miles from where I live), I finally found a store in Kansas that would sell the pens by mail in any quantity from 1 pen on up. But, because of minimum shipping costs you really needed to order at least 12 boxes of 10, at which point they were shipped Post Paid. Anyway, as some of you might remember, I put out a call (on the old Forum) to whoever wanted a box to contact me and I would order all of them together. I ended up with an order of 28 boxes.

If there is enough interest, and if someone else wants to do the ordering and re-distribution, I will dig out the ordering information.

Here is one source

Try a Staedtler Permanent Lumocolor “F”. It’s a permanent, waterproof, & refillable technical pen with a fine point (finer than sharpies - although sharpies hold a special place in my heart). We get them at the local office supply without any problem. They would probably be in art stores also.

Try drafting supply shops also.

Paul

And aren’t you about 40 miles from Hell?

Sorry. I just had to add that.

Wendigo–You’re right. Hell is about 60 miles east of me, but then Paradise is only about 300 miles north of me in the Upper Peninsula. We in Michigan have it all. I grew up in Cadillac, Michigan, which I thought was Hell in the Winter and Paradise in the summer And always considered Cadillac to be Podunck and in the middle of no where.

But, at least Cadillac didn’t SMELL like Hell, like Manistee used to with the paper Mills. (I could not resist jabbing you back!!!)

[quote=“Ron Merchant”]Wendigo–You’re right. Hell is about 60 miles east of me, but then Paradise is only about 300 miles north of me in the Upper Peninsula. We in Michigan have it all. I grew up in Cadillac, Michigan, which I thought was Hell in the Winter and Paradise in the summer And always considered Cadillac to be Podunck and in the middle of no where.

But, at least Cadillac didn’t SMELL like Hell, like Manistee used to with the paper Mills. (I could not resist jabbing you back!!!)[/quote]

Yes, you’ve been here…

My single biggest reservation about doing this is with non-brass-cased cartridges. Even tinned brass can be effected by acetone (the normally best solvent for Sharpie ink) so you gotta be careful.

Heh…some of the paper-n-foil Boxer stuff I have, I’d like to travel back through time and box the ears of the owners…

For WHAT EVER it’s worth, I use the Sharpie “extra fine point Industrial - item 13801” seems to be harder to rub off than the common “all black” labeled (these have red & black print on the pen barrel) Sharpie, but it still is removeable. It has a nice thin, fine point. Got them at an art supply store here in town & so may have to be special ordered elsewhere?