Marking English unknown

Hello.
I have this ammunition whose dimensions correspond to a 500/450 No. 2 Musket.
On the other hand, I can not identify the marking to confirm.
Thank you for your help.

Hi,should be National Arms & ammunition Co. Birmingham UK…Pete.

Hello.
Thank you Pete may what has number 504?

Hi Vickers59.
You have a Westley Richards # 504. It is probably a Westley Richards No. 2 Musket as you pointed out. National Arms and Ammunition company started to put numbers on their cases similar to Roth and later DWM. They did not continue to do this on other rounds. This is a very rare headstamp. Congratulations on such a great find!

It is the same case as the 450 Gatling cartridge that they made, but a different headstamp on the commercial round. I don’t have this one and am drooling looking at it.

Cheers,
Will.

Hi Flobert
Thank you for that answer.
For information, I also have a 500/450 N ° 1 Express with the marking: WR N ° 505 A & A Co.
Patrick

Hi Patrick.

Amazing. I was not aware of that headstamp by NA&A Co. Very nice!

Cheers,
Will.

Hi Patrick.

There is also a ‘NA&A CO 549 4-75’. I think the 4-75 is the date. It would fit in with their manufacturing time period.

Cheers,
Will.

Hello Will.
These markings really should not be common
Thank you for the comments
To the delight: Patrick

Hi I have this artillery shell that I don’t know what age it is.Can anyone help

This really should be posted in its own thread.

have done thanks

Hi Vickers59.
I was doing some research on a completely different topic an came across a reference to your NA&A Co #505. It is NOT a 500/450 No 1 musket. It is in fact a 450 Soper cartridge. You can varify this in the ECRA Data base. This is a VERY rare cartridge with less than a handful known.

If you want the reference for this, PM me.

Cheers,
Will.

Hi, Will;
I tracked down 505 for a 500/450 No.1 Express.
I also have a number 504 which I have listed as a 500/450 N°1 Musket.
If you have any information, I’ll take it.
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

-----E-mail d’origine-----
Envoyé le: Ve, 20 Déc 2019 19:09
Sujet: [International Ammunition Association Web Forum] [General Ammunition Discussion] Marking English unknown

powdertin

December 20

Hi Vickers59.
I was doing some research on a completely different topic an came across a reference to your NA&A Co #505. It is NOT a 500/450 No 1 musket. It is in fact a 450 Soper cartridge. You can varify this in the ECRA Data base. This is a VERY rare cartridge with less than a handful known.

If you want the reference for this, PM me.

Cheers,
Will.

Hi Patrick.
The reference is ‘British Cartridge Manufacturers, Loaders and Retailers’. By C W Harding, 2012.
Pages 278 and 279, there is a photograph of a 450 Soper packet dated 1873 and corresponding notes as to the cartridges in the packet, which includes the NA&A CO’s No. 505. Congratulations that is a $1500 to 2000 cartridge. A fantastic find!
Cheers,
Will.

Hi, Will.
Thank you for this information.