Markings on a Soviet 37x252SR M1939 case

I have recently picked up and I need some help deciphering the markings on both the case and the HS. Some of the stencilled letters have worn away but I think I can make most of them out. It is difficult to photograph, as it is a small diameter case. It looks like 57 on the third line from the discolouration where the paint has been worn off. This is what I think it reads:

ӋОР – 16711 (I couldn’t find a Y that matched)
7/1 4ГР 2/57 C
213 – 5743
Ф

Here are some (poor) pictures:
20200111_183911
20200112_143346

Finally, the HS:
image999

Cheers,
Darren

I will have a go at translation.

Case made 1957 at factory 184. Pozis, Tatarstan.
Primer KV-2 made at factory 530. Kuybyshev Elec. Mach. Plant, Kazakhstan.
Case print says UOR-167 which means HEIT-SD.
37-39 means 37mm M39 AA gun.
Powder datails loaded at factory 213?
Cyrillic F symbol means it includes a phlegmatising agent.

Reference is Soviet Cannon by C.Koll.

1 Like

УОР-167Н means 53-UOR-167N

Kuybyshev - now Самара - this is Russia, not Kazakhstan

1 Like

Ron, load type says УОР-167Н or in Latin UOR-167N (that is the “edgy” “non-ogive” type projectile).
It actually does not “mean” HEI-T-SD but is just an indexed model designation saying “round, gun 37mm M1939, fragmentation-tracer, upper and lower bourrelet”.

Propellant factory is “C”.
213 is the lot number out of 1957 and the loading plant is #43.

1 Like

At least I tried. Shows I still have lots to learn so thank you both. Ron.

Thank you all for the information. So this case would have had the OR-176N HEIT self-destroying projectile in it?

Does the 53 signify anything?

53-UOR-167N - full GAU index
UOR-167N - short GAU index
53 - GAU index group artillery ammunition

and
53-OR-167N - projectile for 53-UOR-167N

1 Like

I think correct would be HE-T-SD in our terms.

Thanks Alex - For some reason I thought I read somewhere that it was a HEI filling and not just HE but this is obviously not the case.

source: http://www.russianammo.org/Russian_Ammunition_Page_37mm.html

source: http://bulletpicker.com/pdf/Iraq%20Ordnance%20ID%20Guide.pdf#page=130

At least the Russians are not defining it as having an incendiary effect.

The US military doc you are showing above is featuring the wrong projectile (the orizontal oriented one).

1 Like

Thanks Alex. So does the Soviet designation of FRAG indicate only a HE filling or are there instances where it would be HEI?

hello
A-IX-2 is hexal (hexogen+aluminium powder)
normally hexal is an HEI load

Russian designation for additional incendiary effect is “3” (Latin “Z”).
So defacto they are telling it apart.
But what has to be contained to qualify as “incendiary” and why the often used A-IX-1 and A-IX-2 are not considered such I can not say.

1 Like

Someone very kindly send me some info from the book by Koll and Interestingly, the table contained in the book differs to that which appears on his web site.

The website indicates HE-T-SD and the book indicates HEI-T-SD, so I can see why confusion exists.

No real confusion, the Russians say “fragmentation-tracer”, that equals our “HE-T” (and HE-T-SD when taking the SD feature into account but the latter often is omitted in most designations used on ammo itself).
The originator’s designation might be the one to stick with.

For example the German HA41 compound (RDX + aluminum powder, used in the “Minengeschosse” we discussed recently) was also never designated as having an incendiary effect.
And German docs for example said that the aluminum powder aided the blast effect, no mention of incendiary.

1 Like

hello
ok aluminium is for blast enhanced ?
but modern french HEI load in medium caliber is hexal (i never see additional incendiary compound like thermite ,zirconium or magnesium) ?

The point is that different militaries are having different classifications.
Russian designs define “incendiary” as something that has a separate incendiary charge in addition (physically, means not mixed) to the generic HE compound which may contain aluminum (for blast and increased heat).

So we are speaking of different doctrines and definitions.

Here for example a 20x99R HEI (Russian designation “O3” = “fragmentation-incendiary”).
There you can see #4 being the HE charge while #8 is the separate incendiary charge.
20x99R_HEI

FYI, when unfamiliar characters from a foreign language are encountered, I look at the “Fonts” menu of my word processing program for it. In addition to (rarely) helping to read the word, it also makes it easy to send the information to others.

Another place to find different characters is in the “Insert” tab of your work processing program. With Microsoft Word, I then have to go to “Symbols” and then scroll down to where the Russian characters are.

Here, you are lucky to already know that the language is Russian. The character in question here is a “Ч”, which is pronounced like the ch sound in the English word “check”. For many Russian characters (including this one) the only difference between the upper-case character and the same lower-case character is the relative height. Bigger ones are upper, smaller ones lower.

For writing online (eg. emails, posts, searches) i use the virtual keyboard Typeterra Just open it in a new browser tab, compose your line and then copy&paste it where you want.