Maroon base Swiss Aluminum Case round

I first saw this specific cartridge in the collection of Werner Schaltenbrant (a very advanced Swiss collector-now long gone) in the mid-1970s. It has passed through other hands since Werner passed well over 25 years ago. I have tracked it and finally obtained it for my collection. It is the only such round I have documented. Werner had identified it as a drill round.

the last word written on the case, and not fully visible is “LgHAS” I believe.

Has anyone else seen a load like this?

Can anyone identify what it is?

Cheers,
Lew

Al Maroon bs Drill-hs Al Maroon bs Drill

hello
the primer look live ?
strange the round don’t had “things” for identification as dummy round

A lot of questions:
LgHAS? Makes no sense. What about “LEHRE”? Teaching?
And what about the word between?
And what about the maroon base? Is it a different and separate layer on the aluminium? That could explain it’s function.
But very strange as the Swiss have very well known drill rounds that differ very from live ammunition. Maybe you should weigh it and compare with a similar avional case?

Dugjans is right…I read that also as Gewichtslehre…not a Dummy in the wording, but to check weight…maybe of a finished cartridge, to adjust the testing on the end of the loading row…
pp

@duqjans, “Lehre” also has another meaning, I guess “gauge” is more correct.

Thanks for the response. Back when I first visited Werner, I had much more difficulty understanding people who spoke with accents and I could have misunderstood what I was being told! One reason I posted this is because the primer looks live to me, and it doesn’t have the things identification I would always expect on a production dummy. I probably misunderstood what Werner was telling me.

Peter, I think you probably have the answer.

Cheers,
Lew

Gewichtslehre also translates (with Google) as “Weight Theory” but with Han’s input, here it seems more likely to be “Weight Gauge”.

Separately John Moss has supported this with examples from his collection of cartridges to calibrate cartridge loading machines to detect loads that are too heavy (in one example-with the bottom half of the case being blackened) or too light (with the tip of the case black). I have seen such a machine in operation at the Royal Thai Army Arsenal in 1969. Their basic load line, for 30-06, was from Lake City, but at the end was a German made device from the 1930s that rejected loaded rounds into a container if they were too light or too heavy. As I watched a round was rejected and the officer held it in his hand and announced there was no core in the bullet. Then he gave it to me. It current home is the Woodin Lab.

I am going to consider it a weight gauge cartridge. I weighted 20 normal aluminum case rounds and they ranged from 152.6gr - 154.1gr with an average of 153.6. the Maroon base round weigh 154.9gr so it could be the heavy weight gauge!

Again, thanks to all. There may be Forum, members who disagree or have added info. If so, please post. Dissenting opinions welcome!

Cheers,
Lew

One quick correction. I do not currently have the “half-black” cases mentioned by Lew. They were part of a 5.56 x 45 (.223) collection I started some years ago, but when that caliber exploded into a huge number of variations, which I saw at the next Chicago show I went to - there were a line of about 50 French experimentals on a table for sale, the total of which would have exceeded my cartridge budget for about three years, and I did not yet have a single French round - when I came home, I sold my collection to Steve Fuller!

Best thing I ever did in cartridge collecting. Today, I can’t even keep up with my original category of auto-pistol ammunition.

John Moss

Hello, I found the cartridge shown at the meeting last week in Aesch. It appears to be the successor to the „weight gauge“ discussed in this post.
Weight 12.376 g, weighed with digital scale.

Mes.-Hülse, verzinnt - D 6 T 46 - BSt.
Mes.-Hülse, verzinnt - D 6 T 46

Betmawa89

1 Like

Great item! Many thanks for posting it!

Lew