Master list of U.S. Ammo manufacturers project

I am close to completing an updated master list of current U.S. Ammunition Manufacturers who are actively producing / selling loaded ammo (not including projectile-only manufacturers). I decided to do this as sort of an update to a thread done by Curtis here: Ammunition Manufacturer Links and also to try and organize the manufacturers into four tiers of production based on a rough formula of:

• Scale of production
  • Market presence
  • Variety of loads
  • Market longevity
  • Custom headstamp or not
  • Press
  • Unique custom projectiles / loads

I was going to have the long master list organized like this from large to small, with the obvious major players like Winchester, Hornady, Remington, etc… in the first tier, and all of the random little regional loaders of remanufactured components in the fourth tier. Manufacturers like Double Tap, Underwood, and Atomic ammo find themselves in the 2nd and 3rd tiers. I have about 200 (most of them 4th tier), and am still slowly growing as I scour Google and Facebook.

I am struggling with trying to sort some manufacturers as to whether I should sort them as “2nd tier” or “3rd tier” though, and am looking for input as to where the following should sort, keeping in mind that 1st tier is Winchester / Freedom / Hornady / Remington etc… and 4th tier is small outfits that most people have never heard of. Some of the below could probably be interchanged either way into 2nd or 3rd, but I am looking for opinions on the relative scale of those below, as far as which 15 to 20 of the below should be considered larger than the rest in terms of production and the other factors I mentioned above:

2nd tier:

Double Tap
Buffalo Bore
Atomic
Fedarm
Black Hills
Cor Bon / Glaser
HSM
ICC Ammo
Jamison / Captech
Nosler / SSA
Underwood
Sig
Polycase / Inceptor (makes Ruger ARX)

3rd tier:

Allegiance
Summit
American Ballistics
ASYM
Lehigh Defense
Liberty Ammunition
Load-X
MAST Technology
Herters (Cabelas)
Weatherby
American Bullet
Prograde Group
DRT
L-Tech Ammunition
G2 Research
Gorilla
Gemtech
Team Never Quit / Snake River
OATH Ammo
Precision Ammunition
Precision Cartridge
Precision Delta
National Police Ammunition / Alchemist
Creedmoor
Scorpion Reloads
Sinterfire
Sharps / A-Square (Broadsword Group)
SBR Ammo
Ultramax
Wilson Combat
Swift
HPR / AMI
Engel Ballistic Research
GBW Cartridge
Lazzeroni
Barrett
Homeland Munitions aka HM Ammo
Old Western Scrounger

And then here are what I would consider the 20 largest manufacturers in the 4th tier, which could conceivably be in the 3rd tier, again - looking for opinions on this. These 20 all have custom headstamps on at least one caliber:

Ventura Munitions / Bone Orchard
Defender Ammo
LAX Ammo
Applied Ballistics Munitions
Beck Ammo
Parabellum Research
Fort Scott Munitions / Velocity Tactics
Elite Ammunition
2nd Ammendment
Zero Ammunition
American Cowboy
Nexus
Modern Arms International (MAI)
Daniel Defense
Super Vel
Scilencerco
Lonesome Pine Shooting co (blanks)
MFG Research (blanks)
Buffalo Blanks
Ultimate Training Munitions (UTM)

I should note that it takes quite a bit of checking to see if some loaders are still in business or not, and many of the relatively recent & well-known ones are not, such as Pierce Munitions, PNW Arms, and BVAC, though you can still find their old/new stock for sale from various online retailers. I have a separate list for manufacturers of shotshells only. When I get the list all done I will add their website links, Facebook link or not, address & phone, and also sort them into another list as to groups of Cowboy ammo, precision rifle ammo, assorted general reloads, frangibles, specialty loads, etc…

First, thanks for taking on such an interesting and helpful project. Have you been in touch with IAA-member George Kass, who has been doing similar research about ammunition-producing companies for years? George’s work includes not only U.S. companies, but foreign ones as well. See page 12 of the Jan-Feb 2017 IAA Journal. He could probably share some good advice.

In my opinion, the “tier” arrangement might be dropped and just list all the companies alphabetically. We all know who the big players are and the difference between a “tier 2” and “tier 3” company may not be very significant compared to just having the list of companies and what they do.

Good luck with the project.

Thanks Mel. The notion of making 4 tiers occurred to me as a way to sort out relevance of manufacturers, as in - there are a lot of small manufacturers who just load various calibers of ammo using remanufactured components, and it can be hard for people not familiar with ammo to wade through the ocean of names. Brands like Load-X could look just like any of the 100 brands which are much smaller regional or in-state affairs if one didn’t know they were larger and had been around much longer. So to help people not familiar I wanted a way to show who was sort of large, who was medium sized, and who was small, since everyone knows who the big 5 or 6 are which helps to compare the smaller tiers to.

I figured on also doing a list that was straight alphabetical, a list organized by state, and a list organized by 4 or 5 different types of production. I would only put all of the expanded contact data on one of the lists - probably the alphabetical one. Like our member directory with a few versions of organization.

Matt - Lordy! I do sincerely admire your get-go and patience. This will
likely prove to be a very important list, but I don’t know how you do it.
These guys go in and out of business faster than some people change
their socks! All these new little companies, and the “headstamp of the
day” (soon, with some of these guys, to become the “headstamp of the
hour”) are incredibly confusing to a dolt like me.

Maybe your great efforts on doing these will make it less confusing for
some of us. Thanks!

John M.

Matt, this list would be a great help for all of us. Thanks!

I can suggest that you make an index to cross the information between company names, companies “doing business as”, brass manufacturers, brand names, trademarks, load names, headstamps, etc.

Regards,

Fede

You are correct about how fast some of them go in & out of business. There were several which I initially had on the list, but after checking, found that they were already out of business. Newer names like Warhawk Ammo, of which I had bought a box of 9mm (reman brass stuff) just last year, but they now no longer exist. The box is neat though.

So here is a good example of the typical nonsense with some of these companies John… A company called Frontier Precision Cartridge existed until 2014, but after legal trouble, was dissolved, and then re-organized by former employees into a company called All Precision Ammunition in 2015, but then they changed the name last year to Clear Choice Ammunition. Currently in Salmon, Idaho where Buffalo Bore operates out of.

Fede - I was going to put as much info as I could, but to figure out who manufacturers the brass for many of them will be difficult. Even though we know there are only a handful of brass manufacturers, when I contact many of the medium to small ammo manufacturers to ask who makes their brass as far as where their custom headstamp brass comes from, they are often not forthcoming.

Here is a preliminary list without details, just to show a master list in alphabetical order of what I have found. There were several which I initially had on the list, but upon checking found they were no longer in business. There are probably several names in the 4th tier which wont be around next year. If you know an active U.S. manufacturer not on the list then please add it with a reply. All of the first tier manufacturers have their own headstamps obviously, and other tiers show those with headstamps in bold. I broke the 4th tier up with custom headstamps in order at the top, and the other 90% below those.

U.S. Ammo Manufacturers

1st tier

Winchester (Olin)
Remington / Barnes (Freedom Group)
Federal / Speer, CCI, Blazer (Vista Outdoors)
Hornady
Freedom Munitions
Browning (via Winchester)

2nd tier

Atomic
Black Hills
Buffalo Bore
Cor Bon / Glaser
Double Tap
Fedarm
HSM
ICC Ammo
Jamison / Captech
Lehigh Defense
Liberty Ammunition
Nosler / SSA
Polycase / Inceptor (makes Ruger ARX)
Sig (L-Tech)
Underwood

3rd tier

Allegiance
American Ballistics
American Bullet
Barrett
Creedmoor
Daniel Defense
Defender Ammo
DRT
Engel Ballistic Research
G2 Research
GBW Cartridge
Gemtech
Gorilla
Herters (Cabelas)
Hevi Shot (pistol calibers)
Homeland Munitions aka HM Ammo
HPR / AMI
JNC Manufacturing
L-Tech Ammunition (non-Sig)
LAX Ammo
Lazzeroni
Load-X
MAST Technology
Modern Arms International (MAI)
National Police Ammo / Alchemist
Nexus
OATH Ammo
Old Western Scrounger
Precision Ammunition
Precision Cartridge
Precision Delta
Prograde Group
SBR Ammo
Scorpion Reloads
Sharps / A-Square (Broadsword Group)
Sinterfire
Summit
Swift
Team Never Quit / Snake River
Ultramax
Weatherby
Wilson Combat
Zero Ammunition

4th tier

2nd Amendment
American Cowboy
Applied Ballistics Munitions
ASYM
Beck Ammo (formerly Right-to-Bear Ammo)
Big Iron Shooting Gallery (Tombstone .45 Colt)
Buffalo Blanks
CheyTac
Elite Ammunition
Fort Scott Munitions / Velocity Tactics
Guncrafter Industries
Lonesome Pine Shooting co (blanks)
MFG Research (blanks)
Parabellum Research
Scilencerco
Super Vel
Ultimate Training Munitions (UTM)
Ventura Munitions / Bone Orchard
AAA-Ammo
Advanced Ballistic Concepts
Aeris
American Custom Ammunition
American Reserve Munitions
American Specialty Ammo
Angelfire Ammo
Appalachian Ammo
Arizona Ammunition LLC
Armada Ammo
Arrowhead Ammo
Battle Born Ammunition (not “Battle Born Munitions”)
Big Bear Firepower
Birds n Bullets
Bishop Ammunition
Bite The Bullet
Black Butterfly
Boland Production Supply (blanks)
Buffalo Arms
Bullseye Shooting Supplies
C&C Ammo
CapArms
Choice Ammo
Clark Custom Cartridge
Classic Cartridge
Clear Choice Ammunition (formerly All-Precision Ammo)
CMA Custom Ammo
Colorado Custom Cartridge
Commonwealth Ammo
Concepts in Ammunition
Concho Cartridge
Copper Creek
Core Ordnance
County Line Ammo
Crooked Creek Arms
Cross Canyon
Crossfire Ammo
Custom Ammunition LLC
Custom Cartridge Inc. / Frantec
Custom reloads of Dallas
Cutting Edge
Detroit Bullet Works
Detroit Ammo
Don’s Ammo Factory
Eagle Brand (American Eagle consulting inc)
Exotic products
Fenix Ammo
FOG / Headswaters Ammo
Force Kinetics
Fouch Arms
G9 Bullets
Garnet Ammo
Garrett Cartridges
Gary Reeder (GNR wildcats)
Georgia Arms
Good to Go Ammo
Grace Ammo
Great Lakes Ammo
Grizzly Cartridge
GTR Munitions
Gunwerks
Hendershots
Highland Lakes
Hyperion Munitions
Ironwill Cartridge co
JC Arms & Ammunition
Jarrett Rifles
Johnny’s Ammo (460 Rowland)
Lightning Ammo
Littlestone Ammunition
Load Houston
Maine Ammo co
Mashburn Cartridge
Mass Ammo / Sasquatch Ammo
Master Ammo
Mid America Munitions
Military Ballistics Industries (MBI)
Minuteman Munitions
Monolithic Munitions
Munitions Inc
Mustang Munitions
Nevada Ammunition
Nevada Cartridge
Night Ops Ammo
Oak Island Ammo
Ozark Ordnance
Parabellum Ammo (not Parabellum Research)
Patriot Munitions
Peak Performance Ammo
Peterson Cartridge
Piney Mountain
Polyfrang
Powder River Cartridge
Precision One
Rattlesnake Tactical
RBS Ammo
Reaper Ammo
Reed’s Ammunition
Rush Creek Ammo
Snowy Range Ammunition
Sendero Ammo
Shooters Ammo
Shooting Star
SMA Ammo
Sperry Ballistics
Stand 1 Armory
Superior Ammunition
T1 Ammo
Tactical Ammunition
Tascosa Cartridge
The Cartridge Family (TCF)
Tennessee Cartridge Company
Ten-X Ammo
Thunder Ammo
Thunderbird Cartridge
Trajetech
Ultra-Tech Ammo
Universal Ammo
Vanguard Outfitters
Venom Ammo
Wisconsin Cartridge
Washougal River Cartridge
Western Arms & Ammo
Western Cartridge
X-Fire Ammo
ZLS Ammo

Hell of a job. Very nice. Thanks. Who would of known there were that many?

Matt - I do not see the name of Miwall Inc., of Grass Valley, California,
on the list. They are a very successful, and long time in business reloading
company. However, they also made “new” ammunition under their brand name.
The boxes are not attractive, generally just white with black print, and I have
never seen any MIWALL Headstamp, but there is no difference in principle
between their “new” ammunition and that of other companies who do not have
their own headstamp.

I believe they are generally one of the leading entities in sales at most of the gun
shows they attend in the Western States, and sell literally tens of thousands of
rounds of ammo. Their ammo is quite decent; we used to sell it at the Gun Exchange
in San Francisco, although the leader for our sale of it was not “new” ammunition, but
rather reloads, especially .38 Special. We closed 17 years ago, and had been handling
their ammo for many years, to give some idea of how long they were in business. I have
not idea what “tier” you would enter them on. Not sure I fully understand that system on
the list.

John Moss

Thanks for pointing out Miwall. I checked their website and seem to remember checking them before, only to find that they mention only being a retailer of major ammo brands, and does not mention any ammo that they might load, such as reloads or anything.

DK - Yes, they were that also. One of the Winchester reps I made friends with once
told me that Miwall was one of the biggest Winchester ammunition distributors in the US.
He was not the sporting ammo rep, though, but rather just for LE ammo. He came in our
store more because for a time, the distributor he represented, who I have since forgotten
the name of, also handled Beretta, and Tony was our Beretta rep. I have not sure how up
he was on Winchester sporting distributors, but they certainly were big. They seem to be moving
more and more to the Gun Show circuit, selling their ammo retail (decent prices, but not whole-
sale prices) rather than to dealers. Just an impression I got towards the end of our business. I
could be incorrect about that.

John M.

How about Bullseye Shooting Supplies in Woonsocket Rhode Island. Paul sells manufactures over 5 million rounds a year (new ammo and reloads) and ships coast to coast.