Mauser 5-round charger questions

I have only seen one of these 7.9mm Mauser chargers and I can’t make out what the markings within the hexagon are (even under magnification). Does anyone in the clip/charger/stripper community have one that shows the markings clearly?

What was the intended use of these chargers? The width of the one lug almost the same as the total width of the two lugs but both types are an entirely different spacing than the normal two-lug chargers.

Phil: The clips with the close-spaced pair of lugs were intended for the Turkish 1903 and Peruvian 1909 Mausers and any others that featured the tall clip guides on the receiver bridge. They will, I believe, interchange with the lugless clips for the 1889-1891 series of Mauser rifles and carbines. Jack

Phil –

The late Ken Crane had one of these “long-lug” Mauser chargers, and he thought it must be a trial version by DWM of their Ladestreifen 1B, the charger introduced for the M.03 7.65 rifle used by Turkey. I went along with this view because, as you say, its dimensions are virtually identical with those of the normal “2-close-lugged” type. But it seems to be a rarity, so although it seems a sensible simplification, perhaps DWM didn’t think it would be worth while changing its tooling to make them.

John E

Since the clip with the single long lug on each side has a spring lacking the fixturing holes at the ends (like the next example) I wonder if in fact it is the predecessor of the standard two-lug type. Perhaps it was developed later on and for one reason or another not adopted as standard. Jack

A few day’s ago I was checking some 7,9 Mauser packs from WW1.

In a 15 round box from GM (Goeggl Moosag ) I found this clip with only 2 lugs.
It was made by an unknown factory F.J.
After I called a fellow collector he told me that he also found a few of them over the years.
He gave me a spare one and this one had no factory code on the clip.

Rgds
Dutch

The central lug on the three lug chargers serves no purpose except as a feature to differentiate the Model 1898 charger from the various other, similar, chargers. Portugal produced both patterns, three and two lug, and mixed them up in service without problems.

So, it is possible that the manufacturer (F.J) also omitted the central lug, but who is FJ?

gravelbelly

Portugal and Czechoslovakia are the main countries who have made 7.92x57 Mauser chargers with only two lugs per side. Perhaps Portugal may have introduced them to match the similar-sized chargers for their earlier 6.5 Mauser-Vergueiro rifles, many of which were converted to 7.92 calibre and could have used both types – any thoughts on this, Dave?

Czechoslovakia introduced them after WW2 for issue with some of their export 7.92x57 cartridges, but also used 3-lug chargers with some orders. Presumably the customer specified which one they preferred.

Japan also used 2-lug chargers (like slimmed-down versions of their Arisaka chargers) for their limited production of 7.92 rifle ammunition, while China made both 2-lug and 3-lug chargers of various design for their 7.92 ammunition.

There has been much speculation about who “FJ” were. Certainly not Frederick Joyce, as has sometimes been suggested, but probably an early German producer yet to be identified.

John E

Who ‘FJ’ might be I have no idea, but they made both two and three lug chargers.

Maybe there is a contractors list buried deep in an archive somewhere.

Happy collecting, Peter

Here are some Czech and Portuguese 7.92mm 2 and 3 lug Mauser chargers as they came from the factories.