Mauser 7.63x40mm cartridge

I recently posted a question on the 7.63mm Long Mannlicher cartridge(http://iaaforum.org/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17305) and got some great replies. On the same post I asked about a 7.63x40mm round, but received no comments so decided to break this out to a seperate thread.

There are records that refer to a Mauser carbine (pictured below) made about 1896 that used a long version of the normal 7.63x25mm cartridge. The only known (to me) example of this gun was recently sold. The cartridge has a 7.63x40mm case. The case head diameter is 10mm and the overall cartridge length is about 50mm. It would look like a stretched version of the 7.63mm Mauser cartridge.

Has anyone seen or heard of this cartridge. It may not be a DWM product, or at least, I can’t find anything that would be related to it unless it was a 403 number that was deleted or otherwise dropped out of the DWM lists I have from sometime around 1910-1912.

Any information or thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Lew

Lew,
I don’t recall ever hearing about the round, but that sure looks like a “workshop” gun to me. They may have made-up 10 test rounds and shot them all.

Jon, Actually there is a reference to a “7.63mm Karbiner” firing a “Lange Patronen: 50mm” in the 1897 book “Mauser-Salbstlader” by Major General R Wille. The table shows three different loadings of this round, all with about three times the powder loading of the normal 7.63x25mm round (Ref Gortz & Sturgess Vol 1 page 233). Regardless of what it looks like, it was serious enough at the time to have three different loadings and to make Gen Wille’s book.

Cheers,
Lew

[quote=“Lew”]Jon, Actually there is a reference to a “7.63mm Karbiner” firing a “Lange Patronen: 50mm” in the 1897 book “Mauser-Salbstlader” by Major General R Wille. The table shows three different loadings of this round, all with about three times the powder loading of the normal 7.63x25mm round (Ref Gortz & Sturgess Vol 1 page 233). Regardless of what it looks like, it was serious enough at the time to have three different loadings and to make Gen Wille’s book.

I was fortunate enough to look through the book and it includes references to some other great Mauser pistols and cartridges.

Cheers,
Lew[/quote]

The Other “strange” C96 Cartridge is the 8,15mm , in a Presentation Piece for the King of Egypt…Basically just an “8mm” Projectile in a 7,63 Case, from the photo of the Gun/Carbine in Breasted’s Book. ( “8,15” is the Civilian designation-- Bullet diameter). Whether it was a .319" or a .322" bullet I can’t say.

Any Info out there, whilst we are looking at “strange” C96 Calibres/Cartridges?

Doc AV

Lew, it seems that Wille’s “Mauser-Selbstlader” is the only known source, although some of the information was partially copied in other contemporary publications. Sturgess made a chamber cast of this carbine and he described the case lenght as “44 mm”, but in his book is noted as a “7.63x41” cartridge which is more likely considering the overall length.

The wood stock of the carbine is a reproduction made at Mauser by one of its former owners, the famous Dutch collector H. L. Visser.

Regards,

Fede