Mauser calib. 7mm S

The S in the designation of German manufactured ammunition usually refers to a pointed bullet. These are round nosed. Possibly it is short for something in Spanish. Does anyone know what the S stands for?

It is interesting to note that the chargers are marked DM.

DM 7x57 Mauser headstamp with an O

Phil
I have the same box…

regards
gyrojet

Possibly the S stands for “schweres” (heavy)?

Although DWM was formed from the corporate re-organisation of Ludwig Loewe, a couple of Banks, and the stock holding in several Arms and ammunition makers (such as FN, Mauser Oberndorf, Deutsche Metallpatronenfabrik Karlsruhe, (Vorm. Lorenz) etc, )
many of the constituents retained their own Corporate identities, and traded on the goodwill of the name/s, especially for export.

DWM did Integrate all its Ammo facilities by the time WW I began, but the markings in a lot of cases still reflected the older corporate origins, especially for Export customers, so “DM” still appears on a lot of ammo and clips made from 1897 to 1914. It was only in the 1920s, that markings of “DWM” became universal on the products of the now re-organised DWM (under the B-IWK banner).

Yes, by 1913, many 7mm nations in Latin America had adopted the “Lighter” spitzer bullet, so naturally, the Heavier (175grain) RNFMJ became the “S” (schweres) or heavy version; Spain, itself, only adopted the pointed bullet after WW II, having used the RN right thru the SCW.

Regards, Doc AV
AV Ballistics

Thanks to all for the input. I should of realized what it was from the 7.9x57mm sS (schweres Spitzgeschoss -heavy pointed bullet) designation. I guess I got hung up on the wrong S!!

The use of the letter “S” in relation to German ammunition is legion, and very confusing. It is a wonder we can figure out any of it.

[quote=“DocAV”]Spain, itself, only adopted the pointed bullet after WW II, having used the RN right thru the SCW.
[/quote]

Although it is certainly true that the spanish civil war was fought mainly with the 7 mm Mauser roundose bullet, the spanish pointed bullet was adopted for service in 1913. But this cartridge used progressive powder which shortened the life of the guns. And switching to the pointed bullet would mean altering the rear sights of all the rifles and machine guns in stock, so I think the idea was put to rest.

Later on, in the '50s, 7 mm production would have GM boattailed bullets.

The regulation spanish pointed bullet from 1913 had an cupronickel plated iron jacket.

Schneider: Do you know when production of the 7m/m cartridge began in Spain? A fair amount of ammunition in this caliber came to the United States after the Spanish-American War of 1898 and seems generally to have been Austrian, Belgian, or German in origin; never, as far as I know, Spanish. JG

The earliest spanish headstamp in 7 x 57 is (18 Sta B 93 OVIEDO). It belongs to the private firm Sociedad Santa B

Schneider: Thanks for the information on the early Spanish production of the 7m/m. The non-Spanish ammunition from the war of 1898 is even now quite common in the U.S. but not the Spanish production. JG

Follow up: an explanation why so many Santa B

Besides being the Patron Saint of (Spanish) Artillery.men, she is also the Patroness of Underground Miners, & Artillerymen around the world, and in Italian is also the common name for the Ammunition Locker in ships, and the Powder/Explosives deposit in Arsenals, Factories etc.; the name also covers Ammo Dumps and more stable Explosive Ordnance storage facilities.

That is why Miners Used to deny Women entry to underground Mines…it was considered an affront to their Patroness, and dangerously unlucky as well…Nowadays, with mining engineers as likely to be women as men, the Prohibition has been slacked off (anti-discrimination Laws helped here…)

I remember one instance, some 30 years ago, when a “sensible” Queen Elizabeth chose not to go “down a Pit” in England, in deference to the Miner’s Concerns, whilst on an official tour of Britain’s Industrial Coal Mine Areas.

Regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics