Maxim USA 8 mm Danish Krag Ammunition

Continuing research of the article currently in process indicates that the Maxim Cartridge Corporation manufactured the 8 mm Danish Krag cartridge. Can anyone verify this with a picture of a specimen and its headstamp?

To our Danish friends, is there any 8 mm Danish Krag round KNOWN TO BE OF MAXIM MANUFACTURE, that shows up in Denmark or Danish collections? If so, how would you chaps rate it for scarcity? In the Wse/Maxim “saga,” there seem to be many unfinished or failed contracts, that it is hard for those of use who do not collect these specific cartridges to know if they exist or not - that is, if the contract was fulfilled.

John, yes, they do exist in Denmark. There the cases were loaded as blanks. Will come up with a hs image if noone welse will be faster.

John, this earlier thread may be of some help:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9526&hilit=+maxim+munitions+

Here the hs of a cartridge from Danish stocks, with Danish markings (blue head):

Ball cartridges are also known to exist loaded with a m/08 spitzer bullet with a CN jacket.

I checked my noted and there are actually three different M/08 ball variations reported:

M M C 1916 - copper primer
M M C 1916 - brass primer
M M C 1917 - brass primer

I have seen one box and several rounds of .45 ACP ammunition made by Maxim.

Here is also a tiny bit of information from 1917 regarding the Danish ammunition contract with MMC: books.google.com/books?id=QQ4hAQ … CE4Q6AEwBg

John & Dennis, Bill probably also has these, but FYI the MAXIM Cal. .45 boxes are known to me in two print variations (perhaps more exist?). The top line “20 PISTOL & etc.” differing in length. 3.537 (which has a faint “NOV 9 1917” rubber stamp) and 3.811" in length (which has a unreadable stamp). Also the double-line border to the label is slightly longer in overall length plus look where the bottom line “Class 47 & etc.” starts in relation to the “Manufactured & etc.” line just above it.

I only have the two boxes & do not know what was in the larger, not rubber stamped box.

The Danish Krag blank shown above has the same headstamp as the ball variation, at least in my two.

Photos John?

Pete - my Maxim .45 box is undated as far as I can tell. Yes, I would like photos of those two boxes. I have only the one - sealed and I don’t want to open this one as it is hard to do it without really messing up the box. Since I collect boxes primarily for label information, most of my 20 round boxes are only fair to midland condition, while my Maxim box is quite good. One day I may open it, as I am missing the headstamp “MAXIM USA 17” (no month in the date, and the “17” centered. I have the headstamp with off-set “17.” I suspect your box date from Nov 1917 may have the offset 17 headstamp, although it could have the 10-17 headstamp, the last date known that includes the month on a Maxim .45 headstamp. Obviously, those with just the 17 are later, after the month was dropped from the headstamp of U.S. .45 Ammunition.

Some details of the 1916 order:

Fede - don’t know whether to love you or hate you! I didn’t know anything about the “Derby Plant.” Was that owned by Maxim or was it part of their lease of Wise Co. facilities in 1916. I know little or nothing of any of the many Wise factories making any small arms ammunition except for the Water Street plant in Watertown, NY. All kidding aside, thanks. Now, I have to find out something about the “Derby Plant.”

John, I’ll send you all I have on this company.

The Derby plant was dedicated exclusively to the manufacture of 8x58R ammunition.

Fede - thank you. I edited my previous posting - the one you just answered - by the way, as originally my thoughts got ahead of my typing fingers, or vice versa. I made a very unclear statement. I edited it to basically ask what I had originally intended, that is, if the “Derby Plant” was a Maxim Cartridge Company facility (or facility of the Hundson Maxim group making Maxim MGs in America), or was it a Wise factory and part of the leasing agreement between Maxim and Wise?

Sorry my original posting was fractured and confusing.

John, the Derby plant dedicated to cartridge manufacture was indeed one of the facilities purchased by MMC (formerly of Secor Typewriting Co.). The plants at New Haven were actually two, one formerly of the Fuller Manufacturing Co. and the second of M. Sewards & Sons Co., but none of these were related to cartridge manufacture. In June 19, 1917 the corporation also purchased the cartridge plants of Kathodian Bronze Works.

It is right that Denmark had a contract with Maxim Munitions Corporation on the supply of 8 x 58 RD cartridges for rifle 89, but when Maxim could not keep the promised quality, the contract was terminated and switched to Remington Arms, cartridges were part of the payment for THE Danish West Islands.
In 1917 the War Department gave permission to Captain F. Count Moltke customer pay attorneys’ fees 10,000 Dollars to Mr. Williams for help in repealing Maxims contract and establishing the contract with Remington

I hope that my bad English yet can be understood

Torben - thank you. May I use that document in the article? I am not sure if I will yet, since it is in Danish., but with an explanation of it, and the figure “10,000” being evident in any language, it might be of interest. It certainly is of interest to me!!!

John, if You want a ‘correct’ translation to US english, I know a guy…?
Soren

Soren - that would be great! Thank you. If you don’t care to put it on the Forum, you can send
it to my personal email address. I would need it fairly soon, but there is not a huge rush, as I am
awaiting arrival of almost a frightening (to me) amount of material and photos. Trying to sort all of this
out into some cohesive order and a length sutiable for the IAA Journal is becoming a nighmare. The whole subject is actually suitable for a fairly large book!

Torben, great document! Thanks for sharing.

Hei John

You are welcome to use the document and if Soren will make a translation, it’s ok with me