Maynard ctges

One guy is offering me the following ctges

1. MOD 1865:
    35-30
    35-30 BRASS RIVET
    40-40 BRASS RIVET
    40-40 COPPER RIVET (explosive)
    50-50
    50-50 SHOTSHELL wooden container with shot???
    50-50 BLANK
    50-50 POULTNEY S PATENT
    55 SHOT douille
    64 SHOT douille
    CAL 64 case 12 mm shorter than usual ???
  2. MOD1867
    40-40
    64 SHOT douille
  3. MOD1873
    35-30
    40-40
    40-60
    40-70
    44-100 CREEDMORE
    50-50
    50-70
    50-100
    55-100
    55 SHOT
    64 SHOT
  4. mod 1882
    32-40 different than the one than in the book ???
    45-70
    50-70
    64 SHOT
  5. mod 1885 ???
    22 ???
    22 exta long ???
  6. 58 FLOPEAR

Two questions :
first: do you know the ones with ???
second: which ones can possibly be counterfeit ?
Thanks
jp

I only can answer some:
22 : 22 Maynard model 1885 (22-10-45) 1.168" case plain head, lead, or paper pachet bullet
50-50 : 50-50 Maynard mod 1859/65 wood container, used by the Union during Civil War.
caliber 64: model 1859-65 . These were made in .35, .40, .50 .55 and 64 whiht “stopper” cases (very shorter).
Best

Anything that can be made once can be made again, particularly if the level of motivation is sufficient. Many moons ago in my days as a silversmith, my claim to fame was that folks could bring me a picture of something or one of a pair (e.g. ear ring) and I could produce an exact copy - it just cost substantially more than regular work. In particular, most of the M1865 rounds could be made up in a matter of minutes if a bullet was available. Might take a half hour or so to do ones with rivets. And, yes, I’m still buying Maynards to add to my collection.

Thanks
Can the counterfeit ones be detected by Xray or are they similar to the original ones?
JP

Because of the lack of answers, must I conclude that people buy Maynard ctges without knowing how to detect genuine or false ones ???

JP: With the high end Manyards there are tell taii signs, but those are the areas that are duplicated by a good fake, to be sure of fakes the important thing is trust your source! I have dealt with a company which makes duplicates of almost all of the Maynards, I will never be able to afford the real thing, but they are nicely done but obviously reproductions. Good fakes are not accidental they are designed to fool the buyer so they are very difficult to identify.

two things:

1. it is generally accepted that m -73’s should ALL have a magnetic anvil. HOWEVER a letter exists noting that Maynard’s plant foreman experimented with non-magnetic anvils during the era of M-73 production. It is unknown what calibers/case types were used, and that, even then, they were having problems with the iron anvil rusting.
  2. At a time there was a good market for shooters who wanted to shoot their Manyards and a number of enterprising people made rounds for that market. Not to fake, as they were sold as shooters at the time. Unfortunitely now some of those are in collections, and being sold for the genuine article.

Pete - thank you, your point number 2 validates exactly what I was saying on another thread about the reasons for marking any replica cartridge. Even those made for shooting today should get special headstamps or be marked “Replica” or “Modern Mfg. for Shooting” on the case.

Today’s home project for ones own use, or today’s replica cartridge for shooting; tomorrow’s fake.

Thanks to all !

I won’t buy this lot, better to save my money on primitive shotshells.

The advantage being, people not knowing very well them, therefore when you find some they are genuine !

JP

John I agree with you 100% about marking newly made replicas / shooters in some way that will remove all future doubt.