Meaning of abbreviation I.S.A.A. on British ammo boxes?

Usually under the British broad arrow mark on packages and boxes of British ammo. On one of my boxes it’s I.S.A.& A. Thank you, Don

Drweiler - I believe this stands for “Inspectorate of Small Arms Ammunition.”

Thank you, the addition of ‘&’ on the 1952 box made me curious, 'I.S.A.&A. Cheers, Don

Drweiler - actually, the ampersand is important there. It changes the meaning. Obviously, my note is incomplete and it should be:

Inspectorate of Small Arms AND Ammunition.

The way I first typed it would intimate that they only inspected ammunition, which I know is not correct. Didn’t think of it or notice the omission when I copied the note in my Great Britain file. Sorry about that.

Who is the manufacturer and what is the date of the box please? It is unusual for the stamp to be ISA & A.

Regards
TonyE

288 CART .303 BALL Mk7 CTN box stamped I.S.A & A. under the broad arrow, below stamped GB 9 6 52 Cheers, Don

The presence of the ISAA etc mark on all the labels and boxes of ammunition of British origin shows that the design (Pattern) of the Box, as well as the ammo contained there-in, has the approval of the Inspectorate…

bBTW it originally was “ISAA” The Inspectorate of Small Arms Ammunition" and after WW II, the “&” was added, and the functions of the ISAA expanded (or merged) to include Small Arms (previously ISA, based at Enfield).

The actual manufacturer of the container is usually embossed in the cardboard, or stamped into the wood or steel; and the filler of the cartridges is given the Date stamp as shown (Letter ID and date). The “filler” is almost always the headstamp mark as well, but not always, as cases made by one factory could be “filled” by another.

Regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

Thank you Doc, most informative. All markings previously mentioned are painted yellow on the wood box. On closer inspection I note the following stamped into the wood box top: SV 59 SA Cheers, Don