Meaning of " B " stamp on primer, Silver State Armory (SSA)

What is the meaning of the " B " stamped on the primer (Silver State Armory 7.62x51mm 168gr OTM)?

Any info appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian

Brian, this marking is used by CCI to identify their #BR4 small rifle primer, or “Ultra-premium primer for Small Rifle Bench Rest competition”.

Regards,

Fede

CCI Bench Rest primers are identified by the impressed “B”. I can’t say that is what SSA uses or, even more important, why?

Ray

Fede,

Wow, question answered in 3 minutes!!! Thanks very much.

Ray,

Thanks for your response.

For the cartridge headstamp pictured above, the cartridge came straight from the SSA carton which came straight from the SSA case of ammunition. Here is the SSA catalog (2014) description for the 7.62x51mm 168gr OTM cartridge:

“Open tip match is designed for accuracy and superior terminal performance. Match Grade – excellent sniper round.”

This primer was also used with other SSA cartridges, below is a picture of SSA .308 175gr HPBT primed with the " B " CCI primer.

Side note: Here is an example of a current SSA cartridge headstamp and box end flap after SSA was taken over by Nosler:

Brian

My comment about why SSA would use a benchrest primer was a little tongue-in-cheek because I know the answer. It’s all about sales. Using words like “accuracy”, “superior terminal performance”, “match grade”, “excellent sniper round” are stock-in-trade PR.

I’m an old Benchrest shooter and know from real world experience that Benchrest primers are no more, or less, accurate than any good quality standard grade primers. Do I use them? You’re darn right I do. When matches are won or lost by thousandths of an inch in group size, I want every advantage I can buy. And besides, I could be wrong.

Ray

Brian, I should correct myself, the primer model is #BR2 large rifle. Sorry, I copied my answer from another post showing this marking on a #BR4 small rifle (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17274&start=15).

Ray,

You’er spot on!

All about marketing in order to try and convince the consumer to buy your product.

Fede,

Thanks for the correction.

Brian

Fede,

Yes, both the BR2 and BR4 primers have the “B” mark.

Ray,

I agree with your comments except to add that when I use the “cheap” primers, I can blame them for those pesky fliers. When using the BR primers, I have to find another excuse…

Dave

Some generations of packaging.
There is a possibility of O.E.M. (Original Equipment [Engineering?] Manufacture) Benchrest packaging, but I don’t have that. I do have it in the CCI “Clean-Fire” brand, as to why perhaps the possibility.