Meaning of box label

I need a quick answer. What does this mean on a box label:

OIP 1959
20 7.62mm
S. Patronen GM1

Thanks

ray

RAY - “OJP” (I and J are the same in German) is the Austrian firm of Oesterreich Jagd Patronenfabrik (I may have some of the endings wrong for this particular use of the German language) or "Austrian Sport (Hunting) ammunition factory. I have only seen their OJP headstamp on military ammo despite the “Jagd” in the name. I think this ammo is .30-06 and not 7.62 NATO, and the GM1 stands for the Garand Rifle (Gewehr M1).

I would note that I bought some of this ammo some years ago, and probably still have it somewhere. I tried it in one of my M1s and had extractor rip-thru of the rims. The Port Pressure was two high for the Garand rifle. It shot well and safely in my 03 Springfield so I reserved it for that rifle only, but never used it again (got it probably 30 years ago) since I seldom shoot that old rifle anymore, and when I do, I prefer my own handloads.

I can’t say that every lot had high port pressure. Their have been reports of it working well in Garands, but I had the same failure in two different rifles, one a National Match built at Ft. Benning AMSU on a X serial number receiver, and neither rifle has a pitted chamber or any other problem related with extractor rip-thru.

Thanks John. Exactly what I needed.

ray

[quote=“JohnMoss”]
. I have only seen their OJP headstamp on military ammo despite the “Jagd” in the name.

They also made shotshells with the OJP Kramsach headstamp, so there is the Jagd ( hunting) part!

regards rené