Medical Professions

This seemed a weird coincidence to me as I had just found out that the inventer of the Billinghurst - requa volly gun Josephus Requa was a dentist which i found interesting as I knew Edward Maynard was also a dentist.
Gilbert Smith of civil war Smith carbines fame was a Doctor.
Were there other medical people designing guns and cartridges ? I thought I had read of others but they may have been English Gunsmiths.
Cheers

2 Likes

It seems that Gatling was an MD before the Civil War.
Doc AV.

2 Likes

Dr. William Hudson, (also a dentist if I recall correctly) designed the Hudson-Thomas bullet in collaboration with William Thomas of UMC. He was also an expert marksman, I believe.

1 Like

Not to mention “Guillotine”.

2 Likes

Franklin Weston Mann was a physician who wrote the book “The Bullet’s Flight From Powder To Target” in 1909.

2 Likes

Charles “Chuck” Suydam was also a dentist.

1 Like

Richard Jordan Gatling was indeed a real MD graduate of a Medical School in Ohio, although he never actually entered the practice of medicine.

Although not a formally trained medical person, Samuel Colt, among other endeavors, " took a portable laboratory on tour and earned a living performing laughing gas demonstrations across the United States and Canada, calling himself as “the Celebrated Dr. Coult of New-York, London and Calcutta”." [wiki]

At the other extreme, John M. Browning never got past 8th grade.

1 Like

To note, Doc Holliday was a dentist as well…

1 Like

But Doc Holliday had a licence to kill, not a licence to heel…

Philippe Regenstreif is a medical doctor too.

1 Like

Vlad,many years ago he told me he was a dentist,so following the footsteps of Maynard…

Cheers

1 Like

Sorry, I went by my memory (which is a dangerous thing to do recently), my mistake. Philippe, if you are looking at this, SALUT!!!

1 Like

Vlad, no mistake as a dentist also is closely related to medical science.

3 Likes

And dentists are much more expensive to educate than MDs, because of the vast amount of one-time-use training materiel and expensive components used in dental schools.

Just a fun fact - since we are here to learn… :slight_smile:

Ole

1 Like

You hit the nail,fully agree.

Cheers

1 Like

According to Wiki the American Physician and Chemist Samuel Guthrie 1782 - 1848 " invented a form of priming powder and also the punch lock for ignihting it ,which made the Flintlock Musket obsolete"

Just a general question here:Can anyone verify any of that info from ‘wiki’ pages?
I have seen a considerable amount of incorrect information there, and I suspect nearly all of it.

One must learn the truth, not be told the truth. To answer your question, Wiki is basically garbage that is controlled. Only way to verify anything anymore is to track and trace down source documentation or video… in my opinion.

This has been discussed before. “Wikipedia is garbage” is boomer garbage.

Using the citing function and using the actual sources is the way to go, just like any other documentation source.

If you stumble across a page with uncited statements or figures - add a request for a source.

Ole