Memorial day

As this wekend we are celebrating Memorial day here in the U.S., I would like to say “Thank You for your Service” to all who served in the cause of freedom for their fellow citizens.

7 Likes

I will second Pete’s comment as well as note that he is a veteran of the U.S. Air Force. I would also add thanks to all the Veterans of all the countries of our friends and fellow collectors who aided in ending wars of aggression, in the name of Freedom.

John Moss

5 Likes

Best posts of the weekend so far. Without the sacrifices of the Veterans, we wouldn’t be enjoy those cookouts and other holiday activities this holiday. Today I placed 68 American flags on the Grave markers of deceased Veterans. One soldier served in the Civil War! Thanks Veterans! Tom from Minnesota

3 Likes

For people outside of US who are confused by American holidays.
Memorial Day is a day of remembering soldiers who died while serving.
Veterans Day is a day of thanking all US military for serving.
Both are a reason to eat hotdogs and drink beer.

1 Like

Thanks for explaining that Vlad, I get a bit carried away sometimes & find it hard to interpret fate, so I mention both sides of the coin.

Time to go out & hang the flag.

1 Like

Pete - me too. I think we all misinterpret the actual meaning of Memorial Day from time to time. I respect its correct meaning, but admit that I use it to remind myself of the sacrifice of any and all combat veterans, survivals as well as those that did not.

Vlad is perfectly correct though - we have Veterans Day to remind us of the contributions of all veterans - the fallen, the combat survivors, and those that served in “between wars” periods as well.

John M.

1 Like

Guys,
As I said “for people outside of US”. You are “inside” and both of you served. I, on the other hand, escaped military service on both the continents. I did go to a US Army recruiting station once in 1986, but I was told that as a person born in USSR, I would under NO condition be allowed into officers’ rank. So I never signed the papers
Enjoy your bbq. I must go to work, a lyophilizer needs attention, I work like Beatles, 8 days a week.
I did celebrate though with my twins at a range,

1 Like

Pretty much summarizes What today in the US means.
3 Likes

Sportclay - heart-rendering, but none-the-less a beautiful rendition of what the holiday means to some, along with the tragedy of it all for families and friends.

Thanks for posting this.

John M.

Ditto. While Memorial Day (previously called “Remembrance Day” and “Decoration Day”) is dedicated to honoring, remembering, and decorating the graves/tombstones of fallen American Warfighters - it has become a day to also acknowledge those who have served in uniform - even if they didn’t die in combat.

My wife, myself, both our fathers, and all three of our sons (two still alive) served/supported the US Army from 1939 to 2019. I lost one son to PTSD after he served in Iraq (OIF I & II). The price of freedom is steep… NEVER take it for granted.

5 Likes