MeridenFirarmsCompanyPointer 12ga box w/empty paper hulls

This is a box that has been in my coollection for a long time and my oldest piece.

It is a Meriden Firearms company 12ga box with the original 25 paperhulls in it. I know from the research that I have done, that the box and contents date to before WWI, Originally when I first got the box I believed that the hulls were actually new primed unloaded hulls, but further investagation over the years leads me to believe they were fired and processed /primed to be loaded a second time. Overall the box is in VG condition the colors are still nice although faded a little and the box has no rips, tears or holes in it. The fuzzy stuff on top in the one photo is not box material but dust from storage., The box is reallly nice and is not detoriated or coming apart. My photos just do not do it justice. The hulls are all in nice shape as well. I have been told that the box and contents is quite valuable I know I have seen just the empty boxes like this bring $125 to $200 , I have seen one box with a single empty bring in the $400 range. Although I know that values on these items really to a large degree on what a buyer is willing to give, I would like to get a better idea of what the box and contents are really worth, if some of the experts here could help. I know it is very uncommon to find a box like this with it’s original contents.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sarpshooter–I do not have a clue as to value of your box, but here is what Richard Iverson has to say about it in his book “The Shotshell in the United States”. Click on the image to enlarge it.

Ron,

I greatly appreciate your help . The information you posted is a good bit more specific than the other previous information I had. I knew from the very little reasearch I was able to do, that it was supposed to be before WWI , I did not know it was that early. I hope to learn a little bit more about them. My hulls are red just like on the box they appear to be a tall brass cup not the short brass cups.

[quote=“Sharpshooter”]This is a box that has been in my coollection for a long time and my oldest piece.

It is a Meriden Firearms company 12ga box with the original 25 paperhulls in it. I know from the research that I have done, that the box and contents date to before WWI, Originally when I first got the box I believed that the hulls were actually new primed unloaded hulls, but further investagation over the years leads me to believe they were fired and processed /primed to be loaded a second time. Overall the box is in VG condition the colors are still nice although faded a little and the box has no rips, tears or holes in it. The fuzzy stuff on top in the one photo is not box material but dust from storage., The box is reallly nice and is not detoriated or coming apart. My photos just do not do it justice. The hulls are all in nice shape as well. I have been told that the box and contents is quite valuable I know I have seen just the empty boxes like this bring $125 to $200 , I have seen one box with a single empty bring in the $400 range. Although I know that values on these items really to a large degree on what a buyer is willing to give, I would like to get a better idea of what the box and contents are really worth, if some of the experts here could help. I know it is very uncommon to find a box like this with it’s original contents.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
[/quote]

Sharpshooter, according to THE ENCYCLOPEDIA OF SHOTGUN SHELL BOXES, by Ted & David Bacyk, your box is shown as valued at between $800 & $1200 (if in as good condition as shown in their book) M. Rea

OUCH!

Thanks for the guidance. My box is in what I would rate as good to possibly VG condition. My photos leave something to be desired but it is in good condition. No tears , creases , rips or holes and no nasty stains. The Color is quite nice. I had no idea that values could go quite that high. I was guessing in the 400 to 600 range. I will have to see if I can find a buyer. it could easily help pay for my semester at college.