Merkava launcher?

Does anyone know what the thing on the top of this Merkava tank is from a recent photo:

Is it a optical sensor, or some type of sensor tower, or a smoke launcher? Maybe a P.A. system, or is it one of those new incoming projectile direction finders that tells the crew where incoming fire is coming from?

Hmmm…never seen one of those before. If you can find another view of it, are all the tanks in the unit/vicinity equipped with one, or just one in a bunch?

There were no other tanks which I saw in associated photos which had the tower thing on top of the tank, and this is the entire photo from the source where I first saw it (not cropped). So I don’t think it is a standard piece of equipment on all tanks.

I wonder if it is a newly modified and improved upon TROPHY SYSTEM?

Jason

[quote=“DK configuration”]Does anyone know what the thing on the top of this Merkava tank is from a recent photo:

Is it a optical sensor, or some type of sensor tower, or a smoke launcher? Maybe a P.A. system, or is it one of those new incoming projectile direction finders that tells the crew where incoming fire is coming from?[/quote]

I posted your question on an armor modeler’s forum…my guess is it is a sensor of some kind.

One other guess I have. The Israeli’s have a few Merkava tanks used for training that are fitted with a really big external chair system for a observer to site high on the turret. It is fitted in the same position as this devise. Perhaps this is the post / attachment location for this chair to mount?

Here is a link to a video that shows this large external chair system. Just a guess :-)

video.google.com/videoplay?docid … 0520572793

Jason