Metallic Cartridges (Regulation and Experimental) Manufactured and Tested at the Frankford Arsenal. 1873

Booklet: Metallic Cartridges (Regulation and Experimental) Manufactured and Tested at the Frankford Arsenal. 1873
Author: Major T.J. Treadwell Ordnance Department.

If it’s been Posted previously, or there’s a Copyright issue; I would be happy to delete.

Publication appears to be: Washington Government Printing Office 1873.

Hope it may be of interest.

Sam3 PDF001.pdf (5.6 MB)

4 Likes

Wow, Cool drawings, and I love the handwritten notations!
Thanks!

I think that PART of that has been available for many years as an inexpensive reprint, but the original here certainly seems to have a whole lot more than I recall ever seeing before.

Thanks for posting! This should be added to the reference section of the site!

Actually is is a book not a booklet. The spine reads “METALLIC AMMUNITION ORDNANCE MEMORANDA No, 14”
For those of you who may not be aware, there were a series of these Ordnance Memoranda. issued .No 8 illustrates a lot of the machinery being used, No 17 is on Gatling Guns, and No. 21 covers “Ammunition, Fuses, Primers, Military Pyrotechny, Etc,.”
This one is 9" x11.5" and cropped off at the bottom of each illustration notes in fine print: “H. Peters Photo-Lithographer, Washington D.C.” Also a full photo of the title page .

Thanks for posting this Sam3, not everyone is lucky enough to have an original so just correcting a couple minor bits.

4 Likes

This is a great reference on early US military metallic cartridges. As noted it was reprinted some years ago. If you scanned it from the original publication posting the pdf is fine. It is a US Government publication which is in the public domain.

Hi libi,
Appreciate the; ‘heads up.’
Believe this to be: a; “facsimile copy,” by Pioneer Press, of US Government publication, originally printed in 1873.
There are, apparently, used copies available for approx. $10
If anyone feels this PDF is; ‘problematic,’ I’ll happily delete.

Regards,
Sam3