Meteor 16ga all plastic

I have a 16 ga. shotshell that is all 100% clear plastic including the head. The only metal is the brass battery cup with a nickeled primer. The headstamp is “METEOR 16 16 P (or R) A C” It has a rolled top wad crimp. The top wad is tan with no markings. It is 2 1/4 inches long.

I have had this cartridge since the late 1960’s or early 1970’s. I would guess it was made in the mid-1950’s.

Does anyone have an ID and what other gauges were made?

Here is a poor image. It is the best I can do.

The metal base on any plastic shotgun cartridge is un-necessary and is only there because of customer expectations. If you cut one up you will see the metal is so thin as to afford no structural support what so ever.

Quite a few manufacurers have tried to introduce all plastic cases but the cartridge buying public have never taken to them. Most were in the 80s so this one is very early and the most interesting thing is the roll crimp which you don’t really comment on but I think that adds to its curiosity factor. Its also interesting that its 16ga not a 12ga

My guess is that it is a “we made it to show it could be done” rather than a serious commercial venture but even if they were sold people would have bought them as much to show to their friends rather than to shoot.

This is the first ever made uruguayan all-plastic shotshell. No others gauges are known.

Fede - do you have a time-frame for when it was made, and a complete name for the company that made it?

Do you know what PAC (or RAC) on the headstamp stands for?

Any other information about the company - how long in business, where in Uruguay were they located, etc., would be appreciated.

[quote=“Vince Green”]The metal base on any plastic shotgun cartridge is un-necessary and is only there because of customer expectations. If you cut one up you will see the metal is so thin as to afford no structural support what so ever.
.[/quote]

I disagree because the first cases had no metal insert and they were quickly dropped in favor of cases with metallic insert.

Perhaps the insert helps after shooting.

Before 1950 were available all plastic cases in France.
And in the 30’s were already developped cases witha caoutchouc head.

jp

I have a picture of the box for these cartridges, It is marked:

25 CARTUCHOS
METEOR
MARTINETERO
MUNICION
CALIBRE

No other info on box.