Mikhail Kalashnikov 1919-2013

It is being reported that Mikhail Kalashnikov has passed away at the age of 94.

While I don’t think he was involved in the development of the 7.62x39mm cartridge, he certainly was instrumental in making it popular, the resulting varieties manufactured being a collector’s paradise.

Dave

I’m sorry to hear that. I met him once, very briefly, at a SHOT show. I wish I had had the two hours of time it took standing in line to get a picture taken with him, but when you are on your boss’ dime, well…!

He seemed like a very nice gentleman, and sincerely grateful for the attention he was getting from Americans. In TV interviews, he always came off as man with a lot of pride about “his rifle,” (and why not?), but humble in many ways, and a gentleman in all ways.

One thing is sure. He found a place in history!

Sad news indeed.

The cartridge was developed by the OKB-44 (Design Bureau #44).

I’ll raise a couple of glasses in his honour, my last night in Miami.

I had a friend (former FBI agent) who helped celebrate his 80th and his 85th birthday parties, John said the 80th was a three day drunk & the 85th was very sober & very formal, because of the government involvement in the celebration.

The perfect vodka for a toast to the General: youtube.com/watch?v=uNzc7AqfmzE
Maybe 6 or 7 years ago I saw some of this in a local liquor store, but I haven’t seen it recently.

It is a sad day, indeed. Kalashnikov was in many ways the last of the old guard firearms designers.

Since it is topic related, this is my amnestied (taken in Vietnam 1967) Chinese T56 second year production (1958). These are very well built & reliable weapons. JH

haak48, copies of original blueprints for your weapon are necessary to you?